I wasn't sure whether I should post this here or in off-topic, since it's really about trying to buy a used car in this insane market, rather than my auto loan per se, but I wanted to share my saga/unburden myself, and this board seems the most appropriate. In late November, my wife and I decided to move back to our hometown. I had an offer from the credit union I used to work for and there were a couple of open positions with my wife's employer that looked promising for a transfer. Everything we've been through in the last couple of years has had us wanting to be closer to friends and family (and in a town with lower cost of living), so we decided to go for it. I won't go into all the difficulties that have come up (this has been, by far, the most stressful and difficult move I've ever had, and we still don't physically move for another two weeks), but after my last day at my job up here I was finally able to take my car into the shop to have a couple of troubling noises it had been making looked at. (Not being able to work things like that into my schedule was one reason I was very glad to leave). The mechanics found two issues, one with the engine and one with the suspension. The engine problem was easily fixed, but the suspension issue wasn't. I was driving a 2008 Suzuki SX4 that I'd had for about 5 years. I loved it, and it was hands down the best car I've ever had: sub-compact (unlike a lot of ppl, I prefer to drive a small car), AWD, manual transmission. It was great in the snow, great for getting around, easy to squeeze into a parking space, and felt surprisingly roomy inside. It was really sturdy, too. At 13 years old, there was a lot of more peripheral stuff (like rear defrost and first gear) that wasn't working on it anymore, but the engine was in good shape and it was mechanically sound. But Suzuki stopped selling automobiles in the US in 2013, and even before the pandemic parts were always a little hard to get for it. The suspension problem was that a front coil spring was broken and the lower front ball joints were loose. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a particularly expensive or difficult repair, but due to the pandemic the coil spring for my particular vehicle was sold out nationally w/ a back order of six months or more from Japan. As it was explained to me (I'm not a mechanic), with the way my car was constructed, the ball joints couldn't be replaced without subsequently aligning the wheels, and the wheels couldn't be aligned with a broken coil spring. That left me with three options, none of them attractive: 1) keep driving it as the ball joints continued to get worse, until one of the front wheels eventually fell off, 2) store it somewhere until whatever time I could get replacement coil springs, either from Japan or a junkyard, or 3) buy a new used car. Option 1) obviously wasn't one to consider if I could afford another option, 2) would leave us w/o a car for probably half a year or more (junkyards weren't panning out), and option 3) would be taking on debt the payments for which I really didn't want to add to our monthly budget. But, of these, 3) seemed to be the only one that was realistic. From having done so many auto loans for members over the last few months, I knew that this was not a good time to shop for an auto, but I had no idea how truly bad it was until I tried to do it myself. I've always been someone who buys cash cars. Despite being a loan officer, I don't like to have debt myself, so I've always spent about $2-$5k on the cars that I buy and just drive them until I run into repairs that are too costly to justify, at which time I would junk the car and replace it. But it seems like the bottom of the car market now is $8k, as that was about the lowest I could find in listings for things that weren't obviously scrap. My dad (who generously donated some of his winter break), my wife, and I all went out and looked at cars that we found in the $8-$12k range, and it was always one of three stories either 1) the car had already sold, 2) the car had been pulled from sale due to a serious mechanical issue that had come up on a test drive, or 3) a serious mechanical issue came up on our test drive. From what I saw on used car lots, as well as the trade-ins that dealers sell, it seems like the only people selling their cars right now are people like me: people whose cars broke and needed to be replaced. Maybe some of the cars that sold before we got to them were driveable, but everything we actually saw had a problem so obvious and serious I don't think it would have made it to a lot at any price before the pandemic. A 2008 Forester we drove had a bad transmission (as well as bad brakes), and a 2009 Impreza my wife drove wouldn't accelerate above about 30 mph. (And, after my wife got out of that Impreza, the salesman wasn't able to start it again for the next couple waiting to test drive it. They were still trying to jump-start it when she left the dealership.) It was seriously like when I tried to buy my first car after college for $1k or less, where everything I looked at was either in need of major repair or past repairing. And the price of used cars right now is the other big part of what is so completely awful out there. For me, one of the reasons I've preferred to buy my used cars in such a low price range is that, with any used car, you really don't know what you're going to get. With a new car or probably a CPO, you can be reasonably assured that the car is going to run for quite a while, but past that I feel like you've got as good a chance of running into major repairs whether you pay a relative lot or little for a used vehicle. W/ cars @ $2-$5k, if I end up w/ a lemon I could scrap it and buy another. That would suck majorly b/c of the money basically thrown away on the lemon, but the car is replaceable. For cars in the $8-$12k range, I couldn't do that. Whether I financed or took a bigger chunk out of our savings, I could be still stuck with the car for quite a while if something went seriously wrong with it. We never found a car on the lots that didn't have something seriously wrong with it already, but even if we had, I wouldn't have been excited to either shell out or finance that amount on a used car. The price of every car that we looked at was also crazy high relative to value. I was able to get a JD Power value on every car we tried to look at, and all of them were about 150% of value, the JD Power value itself being already inflated to reflect the market. W/ a max LTV of 125% w/ my lender, I would have been looking at a down payment for any financing, which I also wasn't excited about. With all of this in mind, I was considering trying to buy a lower-end new car, preferably an Impreza, which would have run me about $25k. That amount of debt would be way more than I wanted, the payments would be higher than I wanted, but I could at least expect to get my money's worth out of it. The main issue here was, of course, that what's making the used car market so crazy is the extremely limited availability of new models. No dealership I looked at had a new car in that price range in stock (though they all had them "in transit" with an unknown delivery date...) In my particular case, things ended up working out (more or less), but only because of happy circumstance that wouldn't have presented itself for most people finding themselves in need of a car right now. While my dad was looking at cars for me, my mom found a 2022 Outback on the lot that she liked. (As may have crept into this post some, my family likes Subarus. While I had my Suzuki, I think I was the only one among my parents and siblings who wasn't driving one.) She bought it and offered to sell me her 2015 Legacy for what the dealer offered on it as a trade-in. So, thanks to family, I was able to replace my car with a reliable used car I know to be in good repair for a reasonable price. If I hadn't, I'm not sure what I would have done. Probably either kept hitting the lots for something $8-$12k that wasn't obviously scrap (and gambling that it wasn't non-obviously scrap) or paying as much or more than a new car for a late-model used. I don't envy anyone with more limited resources trying to replace a vehicle right now. For the loan itself, I financed $13.5k at 4.99 for 72 months at the hometown CU where I'm going to be working again. My lender pulled EQ8, which was 819 on the date of the pull. Payments will be about $220, and I'm not exactly happy about that or the debt, but given my options in our current circumstances, I think this is about the best that things could have gone. This is the first time I've ever had an auto loan (or any kind of installment that wasn't student loans), so maybe I'll get more comfortable as I get more used to it. I'm hoping I'll be able to knock a big-ish chunk off of the balance after a while, once we've moved, settled into our new jobs, etc, and maybe that will make me feel a little bit better. Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED Talk. I'm not totally sure what this post contributes, other than my surprise at just how extremely awful it is to look for a used car right now, and to voice that I don't like having debt. :/
Used car shopping right now is absolute carnage, a true-life tale

1 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:37 pm
Slabenstein
OutlierDinosaurs are patriots
Slabenstein has passed the 24 month threshold and is completely inquiry free!
Slabenstein has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level24 Last INQThursday, September 1, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 15 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in14 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on October 1st INQ 1yr onFriday, September 1, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 15 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSunday, September 1, 2024 INQ 2yr reached15 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateSunday, September 1, 2024 Goal Achieved15 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago
I wasn't sure whether I should post this here or in off-topic, since it's really about trying to buy a used car in this insane market, rather than my auto loan per se, but I wanted to share my saga/unburden myself, and this board seems the most appropriate.

In late November, my wife and I decided to move back to our hometown. I had an offer from the credit union I used to work for and there were a couple of open positions with my wife's employer that looked promising for a transfer. Everything we've been through in the last couple of years has had us wanting to be closer to friends and family (and in a town with lower cost of living), so we decided to go for it. I won't go into all the difficulties that have come up (this has been, by far, the most stressful and difficult move I've ever had, and we still don't physically move for another two weeks), but after my last day at my job up here I was finally able to take my car into the shop to have a couple of troubling noises it had been making looked at. (Not being able to work things like that into my schedule was one reason I was very glad to leave). The mechanics found two issues, one with the engine and one with the suspension. The engine problem was easily fixed, but the suspension issue wasn't.

I was driving a 2008 Suzuki SX4 that I'd had for about 5 years. I loved it, and it was hands down the best car I've ever had: sub-compact (unlike a lot of ppl, I prefer to drive a small car), AWD, manual transmission. It was great in the snow, great for getting around, easy to squeeze into a parking space, and felt surprisingly roomy inside. It was really sturdy, too. At 13 years old, there was a lot of more peripheral stuff (like rear defrost and first gear) that wasn't working on it anymore, but the engine was in good shape and it was mechanically sound. But Suzuki stopped selling automobiles in the US in 2013, and even before the pandemic parts were always a little hard to get for it.

The suspension problem was that a front coil spring was broken and the lower front ball joints were loose. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a particularly expensive or difficult repair, but due to the pandemic the coil spring for my particular vehicle was sold out nationally w/ a back order of six months or more from Japan. As it was explained to me (I'm not a mechanic), with the way my car was constructed, the ball joints couldn't be replaced without subsequently aligning the wheels, and the wheels couldn't be aligned with a broken coil spring. That left me with three options, none of them attractive: 1) keep driving it as the ball joints continued to get worse, until one of the front wheels eventually fell off, 2) store it somewhere until whatever time I could get replacement coil springs, either from Japan or a junkyard, or 3) buy a new used car.

Option 1) obviously wasn't one to consider if I could afford another option, 2) would leave us w/o a car for probably half a year or more (junkyards weren't panning out), and option 3) would be taking on debt the payments for which I really didn't want to add to our monthly budget. But, of these, 3) seemed to be the only one that was realistic. From having done so many auto loans for members over the last few months, I knew that this was not a good time to shop for an auto, but I had no idea how truly bad it was until I tried to do it myself.

I've always been someone who buys cash cars. Despite being a loan officer, I don't like to have debt myself, so I've always spent about $2-$5k on the cars that I buy and just drive them until I run into repairs that are too costly to justify, at which time I would junk the car and replace it. But it seems like the bottom of the car market now is $8k, as that was about the lowest I could find in listings for things that weren't obviously scrap. My dad (who generously donated some of his winter break), my wife, and I all went out and looked at cars that we found in the $8-$12k range, and it was always one of three stories either 1) the car had already sold, 2) the car had been pulled from sale due to a serious mechanical issue that had come up on a test drive, or 3) a serious mechanical issue came up on our test drive. From what I saw on used car lots, as well as the trade-ins that dealers sell, it seems like the only people selling their cars right now are people like me: people whose cars broke and needed to be replaced. Maybe some of the cars that sold before we got to them were driveable, but everything we actually saw had a problem so obvious and serious I don't think it would have made it to a lot at any price before the pandemic. A 2008 Forester we drove had a bad transmission (as well as bad brakes), and a 2009 Impreza my wife drove wouldn't accelerate above about 30 mph. (And, after my wife got out of that Impreza, the salesman wasn't able to start it again for the next couple waiting to test drive it. They were still trying to jump-start it when she left the dealership.)

It was seriously like when I tried to buy my first car after college for $1k or less, where everything I looked at was either in need of major repair or past repairing. And the price of used cars right now is the other big part of what is so completely awful out there. For me, one of the reasons I've preferred to buy my used cars in such a low price range is that, with any used car, you really don't know what you're going to get. With a new car or probably a CPO, you can be reasonably assured that the car is going to run for quite a while, but past that I feel like you've got as good a chance of running into major repairs whether you pay a relative lot or little for a used vehicle. W/ cars @ $2-$5k, if I end up w/ a lemon I could scrap it and buy another. That would suck majorly b/c of the money basically thrown away on the lemon, but the car is replaceable. For cars in the $8-$12k range, I couldn't do that. Whether I financed or took a bigger chunk out of our savings, I could be still stuck with the car for quite a while if something went seriously wrong with it. We never found a car on the lots that didn't have something seriously wrong with it already, but even if we had, I wouldn't have been excited to either shell out or finance that amount on a used car.

The price of every car that we looked at was also crazy high relative to value. I was able to get a JD Power value on every car we tried to look at, and all of them were about 150% of value, the JD Power value itself being already inflated to reflect the market. W/ a max LTV of 125% w/ my lender, I would have been looking at a down payment for any financing, which I also wasn't excited about.

With all of this in mind, I was considering trying to buy a lower-end new car, preferably an Impreza, which would have run me about $25k. That amount of debt would be way more than I wanted, the payments would be higher than I wanted, but I could at least expect to get my money's worth out of it. The main issue here was, of course, that what's making the used car market so crazy is the extremely limited availability of new models. No dealership I looked at had a new car in that price range in stock (though they all had them "in transit" with an unknown delivery date...)

In my particular case, things ended up working out (more or less), but only because of happy circumstance that wouldn't have presented itself for most people finding themselves in need of a car right now. While my dad was looking at cars for me, my mom found a 2022 Outback on the lot that she liked. (As may have crept into this post some, my family likes Subarus. While I had my Suzuki, I think I was the only one among my parents and siblings who wasn't driving one.) She bought it and offered to sell me her 2015 Legacy for what the dealer offered on it as a trade-in. So, thanks to family, I was able to replace my car with a reliable used car I know to be in good repair for a reasonable price. If I hadn't, I'm not sure what I would have done. Probably either kept hitting the lots for something $8-$12k that wasn't obviously scrap (and gambling that it wasn't non-obviously scrap) or paying as much or more than a new car for a late-model used. I don't envy anyone with more limited resources trying to replace a vehicle right now.

For the loan itself, I financed $13.5k at 4.99 for 72 months at the hometown CU where I'm going to be working again. My lender pulled EQ8, which was 819 on the date of the pull. Payments will be about $220, and I'm not exactly happy about that or the debt, but given my options in our current circumstances, I think this is about the best that things could have gone. This is the first time I've ever had an auto loan (or any kind of installment that wasn't student loans), so maybe I'll get more comfortable as I get more used to it. I'm hoping I'll be able to knock a big-ish chunk off of the balance after a while, once we've moved, settled into our new jobs, etc, and maybe that will make me feel a little bit better.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED Talk. I'm not totally sure what this post contributes, other than my surprise at just how extremely awful it is to look for a used car right now, and to voice that I don't like having debt. :/
Slabenstein
  • Score data EX8 817, TU8 834, EQ8 834
Re: Used car shopping right now is absolute carnage, a true-life tale

2 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:40 pm
Slabenstein
Level24 Last INQThursday, September 1, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 15 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in14 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on October 1st INQ 1yr onFriday, September 1, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 15 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSunday, September 1, 2024 INQ 2yr reached15 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateSunday, September 1, 2024 Goal Achieved15 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago
Another indication of how crazy things are right now: I sold my Suzuki to CarMax, and got $200 more than I paid for it 5 years ago. In addition to what I listed above (broken coil spring, loose ball joints, broken rear defrost, no first gear), it had serious cosmetic damage: a large crack all the way across the front windshield, serious hail damage all over the hood and roof, and big gashes along the sides of it from all the times it had been keyed.
Slabenstein

3 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:05 pm
Saeren
Rebel Administrator
Recent HP or new account.
Level0 Last INQFriday, August 23, 2024 Gardening For24 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in6 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onSaturday, August 23, 2025 INQ 1yr in11 months, 6 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes INQ 2yr onSunday, August 23, 2026 INQ 2yr in1 year, 11 months, 6 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes Goal6 months Goal DateSunday, February 23, 2025 Goal In5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes
Yeah it's rough trying to get basically anything right now. Glad that your story had a positive ending because most don't right now. That APR is pretty high for your score. It doesn't really matter though if you plan to accelerate the payments anyway.
Saeren
  • Score data TU8 799/EX8 786/EQ8 805
    EQ5 770/EX2 757
    8/18/2023

4 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:13 pm
Slabenstein
Saeren wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:05 pm Yeah it's rough trying to get basically anything right now. Glad that your story had a positive ending because most don't right now. That APR is pretty high for your score. It doesn't really matter though if you plan to accelerate the payments anyway.
Yeah, the APR isn't the best, but they made two exceptions for the loan that I think make up for it: 1) they lent to me when I while I'm technically unemployed, basing the loan on what my pay with them will be, and 2) they extended the loan term from 60 mo to 72 mo w/o increasing the rate.
Slabenstein

5 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:36 pm
BrutalBodyShots
Senior AdministratorGoodwill Saturation Technique Author
BrutalBodyShots has been gardening for over 2 years.
BrutalBodyShots has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 24 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in6 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 24 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 24 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 24 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago
Slabenstein wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:40 pm Another indication of how crazy things are right now: I sold my Suzuki to CarMax, and got $200 more than I paid for it 5 years ago. In addition to what I listed above (broken coil spring, loose ball joints, broken rear defrost, no first gear), it had serious cosmetic damage: a large crack all the way across the front windshield, serious hail damage all over the hood and roof, and big gashes along the sides of it from all the times it had been keyed.
That is nuts! I had no idea that was going on now in the auto market.
BrutalBodyShots

6 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:38 pm
AllZero
Outlier
AllZero has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level29 Last INQSaturday, March 26, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 5 months, 21 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in9 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on September 26th INQ 1yr onSunday, March 26, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 5 months, 21 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago INQ 2yr onTuesday, March 26, 2024 INQ 2yr reached5 months, 21 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad to read that it all worked out for you.

You're right. New and used vehicle pricing is just insane. Lots of other products appear to be trending that way too.
AllZero

7 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:57 pm
Saeren
Rebel Administrator
Recent HP or new account.
Level0 Last INQFriday, August 23, 2024 Gardening For24 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in6 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onSaturday, August 23, 2025 INQ 1yr in11 months, 6 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes INQ 2yr onSunday, August 23, 2026 INQ 2yr in1 year, 11 months, 6 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes Goal6 months Goal DateSunday, February 23, 2025 Goal In5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes
AllZero wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:38 pm Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad to read that it all worked out for you. You're right. New and used vehicle pricing is just insane. Lots of other products appear to be trending that way too.
It's going to get worse too. The company who makes the machines that make the chips? They just had a fire in the factory. https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/n ... fers-fire/
Saeren
  • Score data TU8 799/EX8 786/EQ8 805
    EQ5 770/EX2 757
    8/18/2023

8 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:07 pm
AllZero
Outlier
AllZero has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level29 Last INQSaturday, March 26, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 5 months, 21 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in9 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on September 26th INQ 1yr onSunday, March 26, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 5 months, 21 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago INQ 2yr onTuesday, March 26, 2024 INQ 2yr reached5 months, 21 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago
Saeren wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:57 pm It's going to get worse too. The company who makes the machines that make the chips? They just had a fire in the factory. https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/n ... fers-fire/
Oh my. :o
AllZero

9 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:05 pm
Birdman
Primer AuthorCo-Founder
Birdman has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level30 Last INQWednesday, March 2, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 6 months, 14 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in15 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on October 2nd INQ 1yr onThursday, March 2, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 6 months, 14 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, March 2, 2024 INQ 2yr reached6 months, 14 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago
Great contribution and that’s crazy about the fire.
Birdman
  • Score data EQ8-827; TU8-817; EX8-816
    EQ5-751; TI4- 800; EX2-814

10 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:45 pm
LaHossBoss
Outlier
LaHossBoss has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level33 Last INQThursday, December 9, 2021 Gardening For2 years, 9 months, 7 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in22 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on October 9th INQ 1yr onFriday, December 9, 2022 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 9 months, 7 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, December 9, 2023 INQ 2yr reached9 months, 7 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago
Trust me, I feel your PAIN!

I bought my 2013 Suburban (sorry, I know, big ride, which is 1000% opposite of what I traditionally buy, but it was a total necessity) just last May and the chip shortage was starting to get into full swing. I cannot believe how expensive used cars are!

I also used to be able to find so many quick junker cars for cheap, but not right now, for sure.

I ended up paying 26k for mine, w/86k miles, which came with serious sticker shock. NTM, I have dumped a lot of miles on it (101k) and it is now a little older and worth *more*. This is so wrong in terms of used vehicles! I am finding my same vehicle in the low to mid 30s!

I got to drive a Hyundai Elentra and boy they have come a LONG way from what they were. I am going to be in the market for a smaller sedan soon after the Suburban is paid off (yup, more fuel efficient!) and they are pretty great! And this is coming from die hard Subaru person! Price is quite reasonable too, considering the market we are in and the trims of the vehicle. It is quite impressive and I highly recommend checking one out if anyone else is in the market!

I also *strongly* urge everyone looking to sell a used vehicle to see what you can get between Carvana (my number one pick because thwy are paying insane prices rn), Vroom, and even CarMax, but I will not lie, check Carvana first! They are beating Carmax pretty hard in prices and will pick your vehicle up even if it is non-functional, and pay you electronically on the spot or hand you a hard check if you prefer.

I am so sorry you went through this mess, but I am glad to hear your family was able to help, and that you didn't increase your debt too much during these really crazy used car times!
LaHossBoss
  • Score data EQ 8: 690 9: 655 5: 668 TU 8: 704 9: 658 4: 719 EX 8: 729 9: 642 2: 746

11 of 15
3 years ago
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:03 pm
Slabenstein
LaHossBoss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:45 pm I also *strongly* urge everyone looking to sell a used vehicle to see what you can get between Carvana (my number one pick because thwy are paying insane prices rn), Vroom, and even CarMax, but I will not lie, check Carvana first! They are beating Carmax pretty hard in prices and will pick your vehicle up even if it is non-functional, and pay you electronically on the spot or hand you a hard check if you prefer.
I didn't shop around when I sold the Suzuki (I was on kind of a time crunch), so now I kind of wonder what Carvana would have done. I went to CarMax first, and when they offered more than I'd paid for it with the shape it was in, I was like, "Yep, sold, lol."
Slabenstein

12 of 15
3 years ago
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:11 am
LaHossBoss
Outlier
Level33 Last INQThursday, December 9, 2021 Gardening For2 years, 9 months, 7 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in22 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on October 9th INQ 1yr onFriday, December 9, 2022 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 9 months, 7 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, December 9, 2023 INQ 2yr reached9 months, 7 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago
@Slabenstein , if you are curious, you can manually enter the details on their website and get a quote. Their offers are very fluid, some days higher or lower than others, but you can get an idea!
LaHossBoss
  • Score data EQ 8: 690 9: 655 5: 668 TU 8: 704 9: 658 4: 719 EX 8: 729 9: 642 2: 746

13 of 15
3 years ago
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:15 am
Slabenstein
Carvana quote today on that Suzuki is 1/3 what I got from CarMax. Idk what they would have said on the day I actually sold the car, but it seems like CarMax was def the way to go for me.
Slabenstein

14 of 15
3 years ago
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:18 pm
LaHossBoss
Outlier
@Slabenstein wow! Then you made right choice!
LaHossBoss

15 of 15
3 years ago
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:37 am
Cassie
DeveloperLoves long talks on the beach
Cassie has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level55 Last INQFriday, February 14, 2020 Gardening For4 years, 7 months, 2 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes Next Level in27 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes on October 14th INQ 1yr onSunday, February 14, 2021 INQ 1yr reached3 years, 7 months, 2 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago INQ 2yr onMonday, February 14, 2022 INQ 2yr reached2 years, 7 months, 2 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes ago
I'm glad it turned out ok! You have a pretty good car now that will probably last until 2030, if not longer. I can't believe someone would key such a cute car. And LOL @ TED Talk. Here's some dinosaurs.
ikea-dinosaurs.jpg 1.87 MiB Viewed 201 times
Cassie
  • Score data EQ8:790 TU8:790 EX8:795
Processing