I got thinking about this today, as it's the first time I've ever taken "cash back" at the POS when making a purchase. I never carry any cash (like ever) and realized I needed a little for the Tooth Fairy when my son puts a tooth under his pillow tonight. This popped in my head when I was at the grocery store, so I figured when paying at the self checkout when it asks "cash back?" and I always hit "No" that I'd go with "Yes" for the first time ever. I know this gets offered at the POS with certain cards but not with others based on experience over the years. Anyway, I got a little cash using my Discover card. When looking at the pending charge on my account, it looks like it's a single transaction... my purchase plus my CB taken. As I was driving home I got to thinking about this from a MS perspective. While I doubt any lender would give CB on a "cash back" transaction, I'm thinking more from the spend angle. If I'm not getting any CC CB on the transaction, there really wouldn't be any "abuse" by taking excessive cash back at the POS, would there? So you spend (say) $50 at the grocery store, take $200 CB, then deposit the $200 to pay off your CC. Would this be a way to artificially increase spend on a card in a "manufactured" sense without in any way ripping off the CCC and leading to AA? I was just thinking this technique could be used to increase "spend" on a given card for high balance, CLI purposes or any other reason without financial harm to the CCC.
Re: MS from CB at the POS?

17 of 18
2 years ago
Mon May 02, 2022 6:34 pm
Saeren
Rebel Administrator
Recent HP or new account.
Level0 Last INQFriday, August 23, 2024 Gardening For24 days, 13 hours, and 20 minutes Next Level in6 days, 10 hours, and 40 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onSaturday, August 23, 2025 INQ 1yr in11 months, 6 days, 10 hours, and 40 minutes INQ 2yr onSunday, August 23, 2026 INQ 2yr in1 year, 11 months, 6 days, 10 hours, and 40 minutes Goal6 months Goal DateSunday, February 23, 2025 Goal In5 months, 6 days, 10 hours, and 40 minutes
ptatohed wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:42 pm I always assumed that if you took cash out at the register with a credit card, it was a cash advance. The only time I have ever taken cash out was with my Target Red card because it's the debit card version, not the credit card. The closest situation I have ever encountered with 'getting cash with a credit card' is at Sizzler when they ask if you'd like to charge the tip and, if you do, they give you cash from the register to leave at the table.
It would normally be a cash advance but Discover's Cash Over feature is something they baked in without the cash advance fees (or stigma that you may be hurting financially). Not only does it not have the fees, it still has a grace period like the rest of the purchase before you get hit with interest.
Saeren
  • Score data TU8 799/EX8 786/EQ8 805
    EQ5 770/EX2 757
    8/18/2023
Re: MS from CB at the POS?

18 of 18
2 years ago
Mon May 02, 2022 11:09 pm
Cassie
DeveloperLoves long talks on the beach
Cassie has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level55 Last INQFriday, February 14, 2020 Gardening For4 years, 7 months, 2 days, 13 hours, and 20 minutes Next Level in27 days, 10 hours, and 40 minutes on October 14th INQ 1yr onSunday, February 14, 2021 INQ 1yr reached3 years, 7 months, 2 days, 13 hours, and 20 minutes ago INQ 2yr onMonday, February 14, 2022 INQ 2yr reached2 years, 7 months, 2 days, 13 hours, and 20 minutes ago
ptatohed wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:42 pm I always assumed that if you took cash out at the register with a credit card, it was a cash advance. The only time I have ever taken cash out was with my Target Red card because it's the debit card version, not the credit card. The closest situation I have ever encountered with 'getting cash with a credit card' is at Sizzler when they ask if you'd like to charge the tip and, if you do, they give you cash from the register to leave at the table.
That's interesting about Sizzler! I think it's best to always assume the worst with lenders. lol This cash back with Discover cards is exactly as you described with the tip, but we get to keep the cash and there will be no extra interest or other fees from it. Like a lot of people, I usually have no cash or a few dollars with me at any given time. Using the card saves me a trip to the ATM, for when I need cash to give tips with. ( Car wash, various takeout counters, coffee, etc.)
Cassie
  • Score data EQ8:790 TU8:790 EX8:795
Processing