I applied for a credit card just for fun to see what would happen. My application was approved with a $3800 limit. The application said they would pull my Experian credit report, but instead they pulled my Equifax. Why would they not pull the report the application said they would? They told me my credit score is 797. The score is FICO Bankcard 8. Five negative reason codes were listed. The last one is the only one worth mentioning: Too few accounts paid as agreed. This is confusing to me because I have 7 other accounts all with a perfect payment history. I have an open mortgage, 2 other revolvers, and 4 student loans. Would anyone care to shed light on this scoring factor?
Re: Last night I was approved for the Citi Custom Cash. Interesting data points.

17 of 21
2 years ago
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:32 am
Birdman
Primer AuthorCo-Founder
Birdman has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level30 Last INQWednesday, March 2, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 6 months, 14 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in15 days, 10 hours, and 31 minutes on October 2nd INQ 1yr onThursday, March 2, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 6 months, 14 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, March 2, 2024 INQ 2yr reached6 months, 14 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago
Credible wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm
Birdman wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:17 pm
Credible wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:51 pm This will be my third one. Actually my four oldest accounts are closed, not open, but the myFICO app said closed accounts are included when distinguishing between thick and thin credit profiles.
@Credible closed accounts are included in distinguishing between thick and thin scorecards. But, from the best I can tell so far, this payment history scoring factor seems to be looking for a certain critical mass of payment history from Revolvers AND a certain critical mass of payment history from A loan AND a certain number of bankcard tradelines AND a certain number of overall tradelines. (or maybe just some combination of the preceding, but some combination of those four is the best I’ve been able to narrow it down so far. I mean this is one of the most complex and difficult scoring Factors, tbh, imho. At least 3 bankcards and 1 loan, with a overall total of ~7 tradelines is the closest we’ve been able to approximate so far, but I can’t tell you exactly how much Payment history it wants until it’s happy. Certain number of OKs across a certain number of accounts? This is some of the really deep stuff that we are still trying to figure out that it’s super Duper complex and complicated but we are working on it and every data point you contribute helps us to figure it out more so we are grateful for your contributions and knowing as much about your profile make up as possible will help to illuminate our understanding. Edit: also need to confirm closed bankcards contribute to this factor. Do you have closed bankcards on report?
This scoring characteristic is far more complex than I imagined. I have no closed bankcards. I have open bankcards, closed Student loans. Also for mix I have an open mortgage.
Yes this one is very complex or very simple and we’ve somehow looked over it. I tend to think it’s complex and I tend to agree with @Cassie that it’s most likely only open accounts. That’s why I mentioned wanting to rule out closed ones. Another thing I think I overlooked before is you’re speaking specifically of the bankcard industry option. As Cassie described they can hold onto some codes longer, for instance it wants to see more cards since it’s a bankcard version. Also agree that there are differences between the industry options & the classics, as observed by BBS.
Birdman
  • Score data EQ8-827; TU8-817; EX8-816
    EQ5-751; TI4- 800; EX2-814
Re: Last night I was approved for the Citi Custom Cash. Interesting data points.

18 of 21
2 years ago
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:47 pm
LaHossBoss
Outlier
LaHossBoss has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level33 Last INQThursday, December 9, 2021 Gardening For2 years, 9 months, 7 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in22 days, 10 hours, and 31 minutes on October 9th INQ 1yr onFriday, December 9, 2022 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 9 months, 7 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, December 9, 2023 INQ 2yr reached9 months, 7 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago
Credible wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:00 am I applied for a credit card just for fun to see what would happen. My application was approved with a $3800 limit. The application said they would pull my Experian credit report, but instead they pulled my Equifax. Why would they not pull the report the application said they would? They told me my credit score is 797. The score is FICO Bankcard 8. Five negative reason codes were listed. The last one is the only one worth mentioning: Too few accounts paid as agreed. This is confusing to me because I have 7 other accounts all with a perfect payment history. I have an open mortgage, 2 other revolvers, and 4 student loans. Would anyone care to shed light on this scoring factor?
A bit late to this party, but they actually stated they would pull a certain bureau? I don't recall seeing this verbiage anywhere. I have 2 Citi accounts, obtained a week or two apart, this past Nov/Dec, and I can say with certainty it depends on region/state of application. I applied for a Best Buy CC and they Pulled EQ (my worst BC score at the time) using my NM address. I then applied for the Custom Cash using my VT address, hoping that they would oull EX (my best BC score) and they did!
LaHossBoss
  • Score data EQ 8: 690 9: 655 5: 668 TU 8: 704 9: 658 4: 719 EX 8: 729 9: 642 2: 746

19 of 21
2 years ago
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:49 pm
LaHossBoss
Outlier
LaHossBoss has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level33 Last INQThursday, December 9, 2021 Gardening For2 years, 9 months, 7 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in22 days, 10 hours, and 31 minutes on October 9th INQ 1yr onFriday, December 9, 2022 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 9 months, 7 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, December 9, 2023 INQ 2yr reached9 months, 7 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago
Birdman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:33 pm
Credible wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:00 am I applied for a credit card just for fun to see what would happen. My application was approved with a $3800 limit. The application said they would pull my Experian credit report, but instead they pulled my Equifax. Why would they not pull the report the application said they would? They told me my credit score is 797. The score is FICO Bankcard 8. Five negative reason codes were listed. The last one is the only one worth mentioning: Too few accounts paid as agreed. This is confusing to me because I have 7 other accounts all with a perfect payment history. I have an open mortgage, 2 other revolvers, and 4 student loans. Would anyone care to shed light on this scoring factor?
They seem to always use bankcard version 8 but I don’t know why they would pull a different bureau than they told you. Remember the data says ~7, around 7. We haven’t nailed down the exact number with confirmation. But if those are all your open accounts, what do you have closed? And is that all your open accounts? That code requires a of number of accounts paid as agreed & some component of mix diversity. I don’t know if that includes closed accounts or not for sure. How many bankcards do you have?
I will have to go digging, but both myself and SO got that negative reason code until we hit 9 or 10 accounts. And I agree, closed accounts apply towards thick or thin, but I can say with certainty, not to this negative reason code. They need to be open accounts you are actively managing. Thankfully (JK), I have 12 open student loans (8 open, currently reporting, and actively paid on), 1 open auto loan, and 5 open CCs. SO has 7 open SLs and 4 open CCs (1 is an AU, which may or may not count). So, I would have to look back, but it was either when SO got his 2nd or 3rd CC that they negative reason code went away. But double-edged sword, when I hit 11 or 12 AWB, I now get the "too many AWB", what a joke. So I guess moral of story is, dont have a lot of open installment loans with balances and/or have CCs with balances reporting.
LaHossBoss
  • Score data EQ 8: 690 9: 655 5: 668 TU 8: 704 9: 658 4: 719 EX 8: 729 9: 642 2: 746

20 of 21
2 years ago
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:52 am
A default user avatar.
Credible
Seasoned Rebel
Credible has been gardening for over 2 years.
Credible has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level29 Last INQMonday, March 28, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 5 months, 19 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in11 days, 10 hours, and 31 minutes on September 28th INQ 1yr onTuesday, March 28, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 5 months, 19 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, March 28, 2024 INQ 2yr reached5 months, 19 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, March 28, 2024 Goal Achieved5 months, 19 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago
LaHossBoss wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:47 pm
A bit late to this party, but they actually stated they would pull a certain bureau? I don't recall seeing this verbiage anywhere. I have 2 Citi accounts, obtained a week or two apart, this past Nov/Dec, and I can say with certainty it depends on region/state of application. I applied for a Best Buy CC and they Pulled EQ (my worst BC score at the time) using my NM address. I then applied for the Custom Cash using my VT address, hoping that they would oull EX (my best BC score) and they did!
I have heard of creditors making their decisions on which report to pull contingent on location, but never have I looked at hard data supporting these claims. How would you explain the application mentioning Experian? I took photographs of where the application says CBNA will contact Experian. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the wording.
Credible
A default user avatar.

21 of 21
2 years ago
Sun May 08, 2022 1:16 am
Birdman
Primer AuthorCo-Founder
Birdman has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level30 Last INQWednesday, March 2, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 6 months, 14 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in15 days, 10 hours, and 31 minutes on October 2nd INQ 1yr onThursday, March 2, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 6 months, 14 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, March 2, 2024 INQ 2yr reached6 months, 14 days, 13 hours, and 29 minutes ago
I do believe it takes into account closed loans but not bankcards.
Birdman
  • Score data EQ8-827; TU8-817; EX8-816
    EQ5-751; TI4- 800; EX2-814
Processing