EDIT: Last updated 6/17/23 Credit Karma is a very popular CMS that almost everyone seems to know about these days thanks to television commercials, radio spots and other advertising. Typing any number of credit-related phrases into a search engine such as "fix my credit" or "credit score" will almost always return a first-page result for Credit Karma. Most people when they sign up for Credit Karma have very limited knowledge of how credit works. As a result, they are very easily influenced or even manipulated by what they are presented. Many individuals that find this site will be new to credit, a point validated by the fact that they're reading this in the "Credit for Beginners" section. I wanted to share what I believe to be the good and the bad of Credit Karma. I feel everyone should only focus on the good, while understanding why the bad is in fact bad and should be ignored. Let's start with the good: It's free! Daily updates to your TransUnion credit report. Updates to your Equifax credit report at least weekly, often more frequent than that. Credit report monitoring for TU / EQ. Resources such as dispute filing, different calculators, unclaimed money, articles to read, etc. The bad: The score(s) you are provided are not Fico scores! They are from the VantageScore 3.0 model and are rarely used in lending decisions. VS3.0.jpg I know someone that works at a car dealership and says that people come in all the time after getting their "credit score" from Credit Karma thinking that they're golden for loan. While they may have a "good" 700+ VS 3.0 score on Credit Karma, the dealership comes back with a (say) 620 Fico score and tells them they can't get decent financing. These individuals are shocked and caught by surprise, all because they didn't understand the difference between the nearly irrelevant scores provided by Credit Karma and the highly meaningful Fico scores used by lenders. Products pushed such as loans and credit cards are there for Credit Karma to make money. Don't be manipulated by their "approval odds" or targeted offers. CKcreditcardoffer.jpg The only reason Credit Karma is spamming you with an ad like the one above is because they get a kick back if you click the apply now button and proceed. CKcreditcardoffers1.jpg One may be drawn to apply for the card above with "excellent" approval odds, but that doesn't mean you'll necessarily be approved for it. For example, if one has already opened 5 accounts within the last 24 months (5/24) then their approval odds for the Chase card above not only aren't excellent, they're essentially zero and it would be a waste of time (and an inquiry) to apply. Ignore the front-end "fluff" from Credit Karma. Each section on scoring criteria comes with a color-coded display with your usual green/good, yellow/fair and red/poor ratings. From a Fico scoring perspective, which is all you need to worry about when it comes to lending decisions, each and every one of these sections is misleading. I'll take you through each one by one and explain: Payment history: When it comes to on-time payments, there's really only two categories. You've either never missed a payment (good) or you have (bad). All it takes is 1 missed payment to severely impact your Fico scores. The image below from Credit Karma however shows green for both 99% and 100% of payments made on time, suggestive that something less than 100% is still "good." I can assure you that even 1 missed payment is bad! CKpaymenthistory.jpg It's also worth noting that this summary page above only considers payment history for the last 24 months. Fico scoring looks at your payment history for the last 7 years. Someone could have horrific payment history with dozens of late payments across multiple accounts that are all 3-5 years old, but if they haven't had any in the last 24 months the image displayed by Credit Karma would be a pretty green 100%. Very manipulative and certainly misleading. Derogatory Marks: Just like payment history above, when it comes to derogatory marks having just 1 is bad. The image below from Credit Karma suggests that 1 only puts someone into the yellow and isn't poor, when a single derogatory item can crush Fico scores. CKderogatories.jpg Credit Age, or age of accounts is an important Fico scoring factor. The Credit Karma image below shows average age of open accounts, which is not how the Fico or VS algorithms work. They look at both open and closed accounts, as they count equally when it comes to age factors. Second, the image you see suggests that having an average age of accounts of less than 2 years or 2-4 years are equally poor, as both are shown as red. An average age of accounts under Fico scoring of 1 year verses 3 years is significantly different and would in no way be viewed as the same. CKcreditage.jpg Inquiries: Credit Karma's graphic suggests that 0 inquiries is no better than 1-2 inquiries, as both are color-coded green. Moving from 0 inquiries to 1-2 inquiries depending on Fico scoring model could result in anything from a small score drop to a moderate one, so we can't consider them to be equally good. CKinquiries.jpg Total accounts: This summary image from Credit Karma just makes me angry. It is suggestive that anywhere from 0-10 accounts on your credit report would be bad, where 11-20 accounts would be good. From a Fico scoring standpoint, this is just terrible information. An important segmentation factor for Fico scorecards relates to file thickness. A thick file is better than a thin file. While the exact point of thick vs thin may not be known, we have a fairly good idea. For example, someone with only 2 accounts has a thin file, where someone with 7 accounts has a thick file. Under no Fico scoring circumstance would the 2 account file be considered an equal to the 7 account file, all other things being the same. CKtotalaccounts.jpg Utilization: The Credit Karma graphic suggests that reported utilization anywhere in the 0%-29% range is equally good. We know for Fico scoring that this is not the case and that overall utilization of a low single-digit percentage is going to return a higher Fico score than a double-digit overall utilization percentage. We also know that there's a Fico scoring penalty for "no revolving credit use" when $0 of utilization is reported across all accounts (that is, not a single non-zero reported balance). CKutilization.jpg Simulator: Credit Karma has a score simulator just like many CMS provide. Simulators are notoriously unreliable, so it's best to ignore them. This isn't unique to just Credit Karma and their simulator isn't any "worse" than any other... I just say steer clear of them all for anything other than entertainment purposes. With the proper information provided, the members of this forum can give predictions that will make any simulator out there go cry in the corner. Another huge point to make is that most CMS (not just CK) provide "alerts" to report data changes. Many people are mislead by these alerts, because they incorrectly believe that any score change that accompanies an alert is a direct result of the alert reason provided. With Credit Karma, they have something that says "see what's changed" which is their version of an alert list. Things on the alert list can impact a credit score change, but they may not. Conversely there are things that can impact a credit score change that are not "alertable" and therefore aren't included on the list. Where people go wrong is that they see a score change, click on "see what's changed" and if there's only 1 thing listed there they conclude that their score change was due to the alert reason provided. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. When it isn't and people incorrectly believe it is, they move forward with an incorrect perception of how scoring works. For example, they may see that their balance increased on an account from $100 to $800 and their score happened to go up at that time (from something else not alertable). They walk away thinking "my score went up because my balance went up... this means if I spend more my score increases!" which is of course absolutely false. It's very important to understand that what you see under "see what's changed" on Credit Karma is only pointing you to alertable credit report data changes, not to why your score changed. I hope that the above information is helpful to those that are just getting into credit and want to know about the good and bad of Credit Karma. In summary, enjoy the fact that for FREE you're getting daily/weekly updates to your TU/EQ reports, credit report monitoring and other resources that you may find useful. Outside of those positives, really ignore the rest. The scores provided are not Fico scores, the products they push on you are there for them to make money, and their front-end fluff can be very misleading meaning that it should be ignored.
Credit Karma 101: The good and the bad.

1 of 11
3 years ago
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:27 am
BrutalBodyShots
Senior AdministratorGoodwill Saturation Technique Author
BrutalBodyShots has been gardening for over 2 years.
BrutalBodyShots has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in15 days, 3 hours, and 31 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago
EDIT: Last updated 6/17/23 Credit Karma is a very popular CMS that almost everyone seems to know about these days thanks to television commercials, radio spots and other advertising. Typing any number of credit-related phrases into a search engine such as "fix my credit" or "credit score" will almost always return a first-page result for Credit Karma. Most people when they sign up for Credit Karma have very limited knowledge of how credit works. As a result, they are very easily influenced or even manipulated by what they are presented. Many individuals that find this site will be new to credit, a point validated by the fact that they're reading this in the "Credit for Beginners" section. I wanted to share what I believe to be the good and the bad of Credit Karma. I feel everyone should only focus on the good, while understanding why the bad is in fact bad and should be ignored. Let's start with the good:
  • It's free!
  • Daily updates to your TransUnion credit report.
  • Updates to your Equifax credit report at least weekly, often more frequent than that.
  • Credit report monitoring for TU / EQ.
  • Resources such as dispute filing, different calculators, unclaimed money, articles to read, etc.
The bad:
  • The score(s) you are provided are not Fico scores! They are from the VantageScore 3.0 model and are rarely used in lending decisions.
VS3.0.jpg 45.24 KiB Viewed 2128 times
I know someone that works at a car dealership and says that people come in all the time after getting their "credit score" from Credit Karma thinking that they're golden for loan. While they may have a "good" 700+ VS 3.0 score on Credit Karma, the dealership comes back with a (say) 620 Fico score and tells them they can't get decent financing. These individuals are shocked and caught by surprise, all because they didn't understand the difference between the nearly irrelevant scores provided by Credit Karma and the highly meaningful Fico scores used by lenders.
  • Products pushed such as loans and credit cards are there for Credit Karma to make money. Don't be manipulated by their "approval odds" or targeted offers.
CKcreditcardoffer.jpg 68.05 KiB Viewed 2128 times
The only reason Credit Karma is spamming you with an ad like the one above is because they get a kick back if you click the apply now button and proceed.
CKcreditcardoffers1.jpg 131.93 KiB Viewed 2128 times
One may be drawn to apply for the card above with "excellent" approval odds, but that doesn't mean you'll necessarily be approved for it. For example, if one has already opened 5 accounts within the last 24 months (5/24) then their approval odds for the Chase card above not only aren't excellent, they're essentially zero and it would be a waste of time (and an inquiry) to apply.
  • Ignore the front-end "fluff" from Credit Karma. Each section on scoring criteria comes with a color-coded display with your usual green/good, yellow/fair and red/poor ratings. From a Fico scoring perspective, which is all you need to worry about when it comes to lending decisions, each and every one of these sections is misleading. I'll take you through each one by one and explain:
  • Payment history: When it comes to on-time payments, there's really only two categories. You've either never missed a payment (good) or you have (bad). All it takes is 1 missed payment to severely impact your Fico scores. The image below from Credit Karma however shows green for both 99% and 100% of payments made on time, suggestive that something less than 100% is still "good." I can assure you that even 1 missed payment is bad!
CKpaymenthistory.jpg 19.36 KiB Viewed 2128 times
It's also worth noting that this summary page above only considers payment history for the last 24 months. Fico scoring looks at your payment history for the last 7 years. Someone could have horrific payment history with dozens of late payments across multiple accounts that are all 3-5 years old, but if they haven't had any in the last 24 months the image displayed by Credit Karma would be a pretty green 100%. Very manipulative and certainly misleading.
  • Derogatory Marks: Just like payment history above, when it comes to derogatory marks having just 1 is bad. The image below from Credit Karma suggests that 1 only puts someone into the yellow and isn't poor, when a single derogatory item can crush Fico scores.
CKderogatories.jpg 13.02 KiB Viewed 2128 times
  • Credit Age, or age of accounts is an important Fico scoring factor. The Credit Karma image below shows average age of open accounts, which is not how the Fico or VS algorithms work. They look at both open and closed accounts, as they count equally when it comes to age factors. Second, the image you see suggests that having an average age of accounts of less than 2 years or 2-4 years are equally poor, as both are shown as red. An average age of accounts under Fico scoring of 1 year verses 3 years is significantly different and would in no way be viewed as the same.
CKcreditage.jpg 33.06 KiB Viewed 2128 times
  • Inquiries: Credit Karma's graphic suggests that 0 inquiries is no better than 1-2 inquiries, as both are color-coded green. Moving from 0 inquiries to 1-2 inquiries depending on Fico scoring model could result in anything from a small score drop to a moderate one, so we can't consider them to be equally good.
CKinquiries.jpg 14.48 KiB Viewed 2128 times
  • Total accounts: This summary image from Credit Karma just makes me angry. It is suggestive that anywhere from 0-10 accounts on your credit report would be bad, where 11-20 accounts would be good. From a Fico scoring standpoint, this is just terrible information. An important segmentation factor for Fico scorecards relates to file thickness. A thick file is better than a thin file. While the exact point of thick vs thin may not be known, we have a fairly good idea. For example, someone with only 2 accounts has a thin file, where someone with 7 accounts has a thick file. Under no Fico scoring circumstance would the 2 account file be considered an equal to the 7 account file, all other things being the same.
CKtotalaccounts.jpg 14.35 KiB Viewed 2128 times
  • Utilization: The Credit Karma graphic suggests that reported utilization anywhere in the 0%-29% range is equally good. We know for Fico scoring that this is not the case and that overall utilization of a low single-digit percentage is going to return a higher Fico score than a double-digit overall utilization percentage. We also know that there's a Fico scoring penalty for "no revolving credit use" when $0 of utilization is reported across all accounts (that is, not a single non-zero reported balance).
CKutilization.jpg 15.55 KiB Viewed 2128 times
  • Simulator: Credit Karma has a score simulator just like many CMS provide. Simulators are notoriously unreliable, so it's best to ignore them. This isn't unique to just Credit Karma and their simulator isn't any "worse" than any other... I just say steer clear of them all for anything other than entertainment purposes. With the proper information provided, the members of this forum can give predictions that will make any simulator out there go cry in the corner.
Another huge point to make is that most CMS (not just CK) provide "alerts" to report data changes. Many people are mislead by these alerts, because they incorrectly believe that any score change that accompanies an alert is a direct result of the alert reason provided. With Credit Karma, they have something that says "see what's changed" which is their version of an alert list. Things on the alert list can impact a credit score change, but they may not. Conversely there are things that can impact a credit score change that are not "alertable" and therefore aren't included on the list. Where people go wrong is that they see a score change, click on "see what's changed" and if there's only 1 thing listed there they conclude that their score change was due to the alert reason provided. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. When it isn't and people incorrectly believe it is, they move forward with an incorrect perception of how scoring works. For example, they may see that their balance increased on an account from $100 to $800 and their score happened to go up at that time (from something else not alertable). They walk away thinking "my score went up because my balance went up... this means if I spend more my score increases!" which is of course absolutely false. It's very important to understand that what you see under "see what's changed" on Credit Karma is only pointing you to alertable credit report data changes, not to why your score changed. I hope that the above information is helpful to those that are just getting into credit and want to know about the good and bad of Credit Karma. In summary, enjoy the fact that for FREE you're getting daily/weekly updates to your TU/EQ reports, credit report monitoring and other resources that you may find useful. Outside of those positives, really ignore the rest. The scores provided are not Fico scores, the products they push on you are there for them to make money, and their front-end fluff can be very misleading meaning that it should be ignored.
BrutalBodyShots
Re: Credit Karma 101: The good and the bad.

3 of 11
3 years ago
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:41 am
BrutalBodyShots
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in15 days, 3 hours, and 31 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago
CR_Administrator wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:29 am Gen Z needs to see this article. Really, really well done, BBS!
Thank you. I know circa 2016 when I was just entering the credit game Credit Karma was one of if not the first CMS that I joined and I was definitely highly mislead by every single one of the points mentioned above at one time or another. Speaking from experience, I wish I had this knowledge much sooner in my journey.
BrutalBodyShots

4 of 11
3 years ago
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:32 am
Cassie
DeveloperLoves long talks on the beach
Cassie has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level54 Last INQFriday, February 14, 2020 Gardening For4 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in6 days, 3 hours, and 31 minutes on September 14th INQ 1yr onSunday, February 14, 2021 INQ 1yr reached3 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onMonday, February 14, 2022 INQ 2yr reached2 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago
BrutalBodyShots wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:41 am
CR_Administrator wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:29 am Gen Z needs to see this article. Really, really well done, BBS!
Thank you. I know circa 2016 when I was just entering the credit game Credit Karma was one of if not the first CMS that I joined and I was definitely highly mislead by every single one of the points mentioned above at one time or another. Speaking from experience, I wish I had this knowledge much sooner in my journey.
I did even worse than that by paying for credit monitoring that offered three-bureau VS3 scores! It was offered through the LastPass password manager, and I signed up for it around 5 weeks after I started my credit file with an SSL in December 2017. What really upsets me these days is how these sites that offer VS3 scores will use a disclaimer like "The scores you see may not be the one your lender uses." They know exactly why may not should really be will not. They'll just say "Well here's a lender that uses them so we're not really being dishonest!". Yeah, ok.
Cassie
  • Score data EQ8:790 TU8:790 EX8:795

5 of 11
3 years ago
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:01 pm
BrutalBodyShots
A lot of the time they also refer to the score you're provided as "your credit score" suggestive that there's only one. Credit Karma is notorious for that... sign up for free updates to your credit score!
BrutalBodyShots

6 of 11
3 years ago
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:51 pm
Birdman
Primer AuthorCo-Founder
Birdman has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level30 Last INQWednesday, March 2, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in24 days, 3 hours, and 31 minutes on October 2nd INQ 1yr onThursday, March 2, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, March 2, 2024 INQ 2yr reached6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago
@BrutalBodyShots this is a superbly written article. This will help many members of the CreditRebel Community in the future without a doubt. However there is one oversight you need to correct. 0% utilization does not cause a penalty or a loss. $0 in revolving balances is what causes the AZ loss. That’s the only thing, everything else is 200% outta the ballpark! So awesome and it’s going to help beginners and even veterans! This is required reading! Thank you for a wonderful contribution!
Birdman
  • Score data EQ8-827; TU8-817; EX8-816
    EQ5-751; TI4- 800; EX2-814

7 of 11
3 years ago
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:06 pm
BrutalBodyShots
Good call on the $0 penalty and not 0% utilization, I misspoke when writing that. Revision made!
BrutalBodyShots

8 of 11
3 years ago
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm
A default user avatar.
aj2121
Share Secured Rebel
aj2121 has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level28 Last INQSaturday, April 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 4 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in15 days, 3 hours, and 31 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onSunday, April 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 4 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onTuesday, April 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached4 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago
@BrutalBodyShots Excellent write up! Like you, Credit Karma was the first CMS that I used. I never paid attention to the targeted offers, but it certainly confused me as to why CK wasn't reliable for scores. I think this will be a great reference to all of those new to credit monitoring.
aj2121
A default user avatar.
  • Score data FICO8 EX: 715 EQ: 724 TU: 735
    As of 4/6/22

9 of 11
3 years ago
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:32 pm
BrutalBodyShots
I think you and I are great representatives of the majority out there. CK has its place, but it also has plenty of negatives that I'm confident many will learn of and avoid from this thread.
BrutalBodyShots

10 of 11
2 years ago
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:36 pm
ActualSomewhere6132
Authorized Rebel
Hello!

For each section - and I am unsure if this exists, but - where do we see what is included, and by Data Furnisher Type?

Utilization - ONLY Creditor, as an example?
AAO - ONLY Creditor, Open and Closed?
ActualSomewhere6132

11 of 11
2 years ago
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:55 pm
Birdman
Primer AuthorCo-Founder
Birdman has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level30 Last INQWednesday, March 2, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes Next Level in24 days, 3 hours, and 31 minutes on October 2nd INQ 1yr onThursday, March 2, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, March 2, 2024 INQ 2yr reached6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 29 minutes ago
ActualSomewhere6132 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:36 pm Hello! For each section - and I am unsure if this exists, but - where do we see what is included, and by Data Furnisher Type? Utilization - ONLY Creditor, as an example? AAO - ONLY Creditor, Open and Closed?
That’s going to be in the metro2 format.
Birdman
  • Score data EQ8-827; TU8-817; EX8-816
    EQ5-751; TI4- 800; EX2-814
Processing