I know for the majority of my credit life until maybe 5-6 years ago, I never really monitored my credit reports or Fico scores. That being said, most of the time I applied for credit I was going in blind in that I had no idea what my prospective lender was going to see in terms of my report/score. My very basic tip to anyone would be to know where you stand before applying for credit. Know exactly what is on your credit reports, what your Fico scores look like and do some basic research on the lender with which you're applying to ensure that your profile aligns with what they generally find acceptable.
Know where you stand

1 of 6
3 years ago
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:12 pm
BrutalBodyShots
Senior AdministratorGoodwill Saturation Technique Author
BrutalBodyShots has been gardening for over 2 years.
BrutalBodyShots has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes Next Level in15 days, 3 hours, and 30 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes ago
I know for the majority of my credit life until maybe 5-6 years ago, I never really monitored my credit reports or Fico scores. That being said, most of the time I applied for credit I was going in blind in that I had no idea what my prospective lender was going to see in terms of my report/score.

My very basic tip to anyone would be to know where you stand before applying for credit. Know exactly what is on your credit reports, what your Fico scores look like and do some basic research on the lender with which you're applying to ensure that your profile aligns with what they generally find acceptable.
BrutalBodyShots
Re: Know where you stand

2 of 6
2 years ago
Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:39 am
Have1
Seasoned Rebel
Have1 has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level29 Last INQSaturday, March 12, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 5 months, 26 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes Next Level in4 days, 3 hours, and 30 minutes on September 12th INQ 1yr onSunday, March 12, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 5 months, 26 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes ago INQ 2yr onTuesday, March 12, 2024 INQ 2yr reached5 months, 26 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes ago
I would add that you really need to figure out what your spending and income actually are. Create a spreadsheet, use a budget app, accounting software or just a plain old pencil and paper list.

Figure out what you are spending and where.

Debt to income (DTI) is a very important factor in credit approval, rates and limits. Just because you are meeting your obligations doesn't necessarily mean you have a DTI that looks good to lenders.

Understand your finances and make a plan to optimize them before you start on your credit applications.
Have1
  • Score data Recent Scores (Oct '23):
    EX8: 758 EX9: 814
    EQ8: 760 EQ9: 820
    TU8: 765 TU9: 823

3 of 6
A year ago
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:35 am
A default user avatar.
dcasto
Authorized Rebel
I've only discovered this community this week and you all have really made things so much clearer. I'm rebuilding, and your post is exactly what I've been planning as far as creating a better budget. My question is, what budget apps would you recommend? I've tried pen n paper , never keep up with it. Not that good at computer things really . And the biggest issue I run into with most financial apps is, I bank at my local credit union. Had my account since age 16, I'm 40 now. These apps always want you to pick your bank and mine is never never listed. I recently put in a request with Experian to add my bank , but it being such a small bank who's know what will happen. So again , is there any apps you would recommend?
What to say thank you for what y'all are doing with this page , it's quickly becoming a life line for me and my family.
dcasto
A default user avatar.

4 of 6
A year ago
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:11 am
Cassie
DeveloperLoves long talks on the beach
Cassie has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level54 Last INQFriday, February 14, 2020 Gardening For4 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes Next Level in6 days, 3 hours, and 30 minutes on September 14th INQ 1yr onSunday, February 14, 2021 INQ 1yr reached3 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes ago INQ 2yr onMonday, February 14, 2022 INQ 2yr reached2 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes ago
dcasto wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:35 am What to say thank you for what y'all are doing with this page , it's quickly becoming a life line for me and my family.
Hi @dcasto ! Welcome. :) It really means a lot to me, to know that what I'm working on here is helping people. It's always been my primary motivation. Our Credit Scoring Primer is a must read and better than any book out there on this subject. Just the credit optimization table alone at the top of that document is enough info for someone to make a significant improvement to their FICO 8 scores. @Saeren , any suggestions on a banking/budgeting app of the kind that dcasto is looking for?
Cassie
  • Score data EQ8:790 TU8:790 EX8:795

5 of 6
A year ago
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:54 am
BrutalBodyShots
Senior AdministratorGoodwill Saturation Technique Author
BrutalBodyShots has been gardening for over 2 years.
BrutalBodyShots has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes Next Level in15 days, 3 hours, and 30 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes ago
dcasto wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:35 am I've only discovered this community this week and you all have really made things so much clearer. I'm rebuilding, and your post is exactly what I've been planning as far as creating a better budget. My question is, what budget apps would you recommend? I've tried pen n paper , never keep up with it. Not that good at computer things really . And the biggest issue I run into with most financial apps is, I bank at my local credit union. Had my account since age 16, I'm 40 now. These apps always want you to pick your bank and mine is never never listed. I recently put in a request with Experian to add my bank , but it being such a small bank who's know what will happen. So again , is there any apps you would recommend? What to say thank you for what y'all are doing with this page , it's quickly becoming a life line for me and my family.
Hey there! Welcome to Credit Rebels, @dcasto! If you get a chance please start a thread in the "Introduce yourself here" section and let us know how you found this place, a little about yourself and what your credit goals are. We look forward to you being a part of the forum!
BrutalBodyShots

6 of 6
A year ago
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:01 pm
Saeren
Rebel Administrator
Recent HP or new account.
Level0 Last INQFriday, August 23, 2024 Gardening For15 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes Next Level in15 days, 3 hours, and 30 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onSaturday, August 23, 2025 INQ 1yr in11 months, 15 days, 3 hours, and 30 minutes INQ 2yr onSunday, August 23, 2026 INQ 2yr in1 year, 11 months, 15 days, 3 hours, and 30 minutes Goal6 months Goal DateSunday, February 23, 2025 Goal In5 months, 15 days, 3 hours, and 30 minutes
I use this app called Spending Tracker. I add a field for each of my cards in the following month and just start adding up the total balance. Lets me make use of my grace periods.
Screenshot_20230322_205757.jpg 207.22 KiB Viewed 143 times
http://www.mhriley.com/spendingtracker/ No need to enter any bank details and having to add transactions manually makes you think about your spending. I run my budgets for each month based on my main checking account balance so the ending balance it gives me is what my checking account should have in it. Helps with balancing so that's even better.
Screenshot_20230322_210225.jpg 244.79 KiB Viewed 143 times
If you want something simpler, Daily Budget splits your monthly income into daily spending budgets and has a simple +/- function to do transactions. I don't prefer this method because it doesn't tell you exactly what you'll have to pay on your cards but it is definitely better than nothing. The iOS dev never brought this app to Android but there's a clone. I've used both and they're both fine. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/daily-bud ... d651896614 https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ailybudget
Saeren
  • Score data TU8 799/EX8 786/EQ8 805
    EQ5 770/EX2 757
    8/18/2023
Processing