Super confused. I've read on many forums that Bank of America doesn't do "HARD pulls" anymore for CLI..especially if you got a link that you can click on their website under your account page. However, when I click on "Credit line increase" on my credit card account page on the BofA.com website this is what I see: __________________________________________ Request a credit line increase To request an increased line of credit, complete and Submit this form. You authorize us to: Obtain a copy of your credit report Review your credit and employment histories and other information we need Service your account Manage our relationship with you _____________________________________________ then there is a form with all the personal data you fill out.. then it says: * required Upon request, we'll share the name and address of any agency that provided us with reports. Is this a hard or a soft pull? I dont want to try it unless its soft so curious if any one has any recent data points??? thanks!!
Does BofA do a hard or soft pull for CLI requests??

1 of 8
6 months ago
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:39 am
NoMoneyNoHoney
Seasoned RebelNeed BTC card
NoMoneyNoHoney has passed the 12 month threshold!
No scorable inquiries on file!
Level20 Last INQSunday, January 1, 2023 Gardening For1 year, 8 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes Next Level in23 days, 3 hours, and 35 minutes on October 1st INQ 1yr onMonday, January 1, 2024 INQ 1yr reached8 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago INQ 2yr onWednesday, January 1, 2025 INQ 2yr in3 months, 24 days, 3 hours, and 35 minutes
Super confused. I've read on many forums that Bank of America doesn't do "HARD pulls" anymore for CLI..especially if you got a link that you can click on their website under your account page.

However, when I click on "Credit line increase" on my credit card account page on the BofA.com website this is what I see:

To request an increased line of credit, complete and Submit this form. You authorize us to:

Obtain a copy of your credit report
Review your credit and employment histories and other information we need
Service your account
Manage our relationship with you

then there is a form with all the personal data you fill out..

then it says:

* required
Upon request, we'll share the name and address of any agency that provided us with reports.

Is this a hard or a soft pull? I dont want to try it unless its soft so curious if any one has any recent data points???

thanks!!
NoMoneyNoHoney
  • Score data EX 757 TU: 742 EQ: 750
Re: Does BofA do a hard or soft pull for CLI requests??

2 of 8
6 months ago
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:05 pm
Cassie
DeveloperLoves long talks on the beach
Cassie has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level54 Last INQFriday, February 14, 2020 Gardening For4 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes Next Level in6 days, 3 hours, and 35 minutes on September 14th INQ 1yr onSunday, February 14, 2021 INQ 1yr reached3 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago INQ 2yr onMonday, February 14, 2022 INQ 2yr reached2 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago
I think you should call a local branch and ask to speak with someone that would definitely know the answer.

There doesn't seem to be a blanket BofA statement that 'we don't do hard pulls'. What I found online is kind of vague, and mentions that 'sometimes' they can do hard pulls, depending on the state of your credit file.

They're doing monthly SPs for the free TU8 score, so they already have some recent file info to work with here. Maybe the state of that triggers a need for an up to date hard pull?
Cassie
  • Score data EQ8:790 TU8:790 EX8:795

3 of 8
5 months ago
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:01 am
NoMoneyNoHoney
Level20 Last INQSunday, January 1, 2023 Gardening For1 year, 8 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes Next Level in23 days, 3 hours, and 35 minutes on October 1st INQ 1yr onMonday, January 1, 2024 INQ 1yr reached8 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago INQ 2yr onWednesday, January 1, 2025 INQ 2yr in3 months, 24 days, 3 hours, and 35 minutes
Cassie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:05 pm I think you should call a local branch and ask to speak with someone that would definitely know the answer. There doesn't seem to be a blanket BofA statement that 'we don't do hard pulls'. What I found online is kind of vague, and mentions that 'sometimes' they can do hard pulls, depending on the state of your credit file. They're doing monthly SPs for the free TU8 score, so they already have some recent file info to work with here. Maybe the state of that triggers a need for an up to date hard pull?
THanks for the detailed response. I'm hesistant to do that cuz I feel like I'd get the same answer you just gave me and its gonna involve having to talk to bunch of different people. I was hoping some BofA card holders in this forum would chime in. Certainly we must have a few who've made CLI requests over the past couple of years who can share their experience?
NoMoneyNoHoney

4 of 8
5 months ago
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:57 pm
Cassie
DeveloperLoves long talks on the beach
Cassie has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level54 Last INQFriday, February 14, 2020 Gardening For4 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes Next Level in6 days, 3 hours, and 35 minutes on September 14th INQ 1yr onSunday, February 14, 2021 INQ 1yr reached3 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago INQ 2yr onMonday, February 14, 2022 INQ 2yr reached2 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago
NoMoneyNoHoney wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:01 am Certainly we must have a few who've made CLI requests over the past couple of years who can share their experience?
I would just make sure whoever answers with 'soft pull' has a similar score/profile as yours.
Cassie
  • Score data EQ8:790 TU8:790 EX8:795

5 of 8
2 months ago
Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:50 am
AllZero
Outlier
AllZero has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level29 Last INQSaturday, March 26, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 5 months, 12 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes Next Level in18 days, 3 hours, and 35 minutes on September 26th INQ 1yr onSunday, March 26, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 5 months, 12 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago INQ 2yr onTuesday, March 26, 2024 INQ 2yr reached5 months, 12 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago
Sorry for the late reply.

Freeze your credit report so there won't be a problem.

Mine are frozen. BoA was still able to give me a CLI the last time I requested online (which was probably a couple years ago).

They still give me my monthly TU8 score with frozen reports.
AllZero

6 of 8
2 months ago
Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:58 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney
Cassie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:05 pm I think you should call a local branch and ask to speak with someone that would definitely know the answer. There doesn't seem to be a blanket BofA statement that 'we don't do hard pulls'. What I found online is kind of vague, and mentions that 'sometimes' they can do hard pulls, depending on the state of your credit file. They're doing monthly SPs for the free TU8 score, so they already have some recent file info to work with here. Maybe the state of that triggers a need for an up to date hard pull?
Just an update on this. I did a number of CLI request (pretty much every month) for past 4 months, BofA never did a hard pull. So I just don't think they do hard pulls if you CLI via the website. I haven't tried calling yet. I did a CLI both with my TransUnion frozen and without and neither got approved. LOL
NoMoneyNoHoney

7 of 8
2 months ago
Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:59 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney
AllZero wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:50 am Sorry for the late reply. Freeze your credit report so there won't be a problem. Mine are frozen. BoA was still able to give me a CLI the last time I requested online (which was probably a couple years ago). They still give me my monthly TU8 score with frozen reports.
THanks for reply. Yeah I tried freezing my TransUnion for a couple months. But pretty confident BofA doesnt do hard pulls anymore for CLI request done online. Ita all Soft.
NoMoneyNoHoney

8 of 8
2 months ago
Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:31 pm
BrutalBodyShots
Senior AdministratorGoodwill Saturation Technique Author
BrutalBodyShots has been gardening for over 2 years.
BrutalBodyShots has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes Next Level in15 days, 3 hours, and 35 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes ago
My credit reports have been frozen for years and during that time I've received 5 CLIs on my BoA credit card with no attempted / blocked hard inquiries from any of them. All of my requests have been online using the "request a credit line increase" hyperlink on the account.
BrutalBodyShots
Processing