A few years back, I came upon a post from the CDIA, I believe, that flagged all CRA's with the expectation of a required change to how Medical Debt is expected to be treated, in Metro2 reporting. This statement, then - required the usage of a field called "Creditor Classification" to be used to identify a debt collection account as actual Health Care/Medical debt. This would include, hospital, doctor and even a service like "Care Credit", which provides services for health care expenditures. Today - there are also changes to how medical debt is determined to be reportable, or not. Durations of time and amount, paid - unpaid, etc., impact the data that can be sent to a CRA. Today, and on many consumer reports (especially EX and TU), the ability to identify a true medical debt is not clearly defined for any consumer. See Creditor Classifications' valid values below. Typically, what I have seen - is where a "Name of Account" is used by debt collectors to refer to an account's Original Creditor (OC), and as if this is from a medical provider, or place the name of the OC - in a field called "Historical Info", but - no creditor classification value at all. Example " Middlebrook Hospital - ER Collections " No other identifier that this is medical No Creditor Classification On Experian - Historical Data stores the OC Name only Why is this important? Any system, that is built leverages code (instructions) on how, it should act when*** And as such - if, instructions of Metro2 say, send us a Creditor Classification code, to identify Medical debt, then a Data Furnisher should. Think of this as a way to pay your credit card bill, where a Bank Name is required. If they don't - and instead your eyes believe it, but not the code itself --- what is truly occurring? Most codes - do not account for exceptions/or variations - as it creation, and maintenance would be horrific. Take a look at the data for medical collections - please share where you have it with the identifier or creditor classification (I have one, on Equifax). Creditor Classification 1.jpg Creditor Classification 2.jpg Creditor Classification 3.jpg
Medical Debt - Creditor Classification, and - identifying on Consumer Reports

1 of 2
2 years ago
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:12 am
ActualSomewhere6132
Authorized Rebel
A few years back, I came upon a post from the CDIA, I believe, that flagged all CRA's with the expectation of a required change to how Medical Debt is expected to be treated, in Metro2 reporting. This statement, then - required the usage of a field called "Creditor Classification" to be used to identify a debt collection account as actual Health Care/Medical debt. This would include, hospital, doctor and even a service like "Care Credit", which provides services for health care expenditures. Today - there are also changes to how medical debt is determined to be reportable, or not. Durations of time and amount, paid - unpaid, etc., impact the data that can be sent to a CRA. Today, and on many consumer reports (especially EX and TU), the ability to identify a true medical debt is not clearly defined for any consumer. See Creditor Classifications' valid values below. Typically, what I have seen - is where a "Name of Account" is used by debt collectors to refer to an account's Original Creditor (OC), and as if this is from a medical provider, or place the name of the OC - in a field called "Historical Info", but - no creditor classification value at all. Example " Middlebrook Hospital - ER Collections " No other identifier that this is medical No Creditor Classification On Experian - Historical Data stores the OC Name only Why is this important? Any system, that is built leverages code (instructions) on how, it should act when*** And as such - if, instructions of Metro2 say, send us a Creditor Classification code, to identify Medical debt, then a Data Furnisher should. Think of this as a way to pay your credit card bill, where a Bank Name is required. If they don't - and instead your eyes believe it, but not the code itself --- what is truly occurring? Most codes - do not account for exceptions/or variations - as it creation, and maintenance would be horrific. Take a look at the data for medical collections - please share where you have it with the identifier or creditor classification (I have one, on Equifax).
Creditor Classification 1.jpg 72.11 KiB Viewed 174 times
Creditor Classification 2.jpg 71.42 KiB Viewed 174 times
Creditor Classification 3.jpg 40.99 KiB Viewed 174 times
ActualSomewhere6132
Re: Medical Debt - Creditor Classification, and - identifying on Consumer Reports

2 of 2
2 years ago
Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:00 pm
Birdman
Primer AuthorCo-Founder
Birdman has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level30 Last INQWednesday, March 2, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 28 minutes Next Level in24 days, 3 hours, and 32 minutes on October 2nd INQ 1yr onThursday, March 2, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 28 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, March 2, 2024 INQ 2yr reached6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 28 minutes ago
@ActualSomewhere6132 This information should be made available to us. We just have to rely on them dividing it into loans collections retail etc. but we should be able to have data from that field as well I wish we could you say Equifax does?
Birdman
  • Score data EQ8-827; TU8-817; EX8-816
    EQ5-751; TI4- 800; EX2-814
Processing