If you split a minimum payment of $600 into 3 different $200 payments over the course of a month, does this help your credit rating at all?? Does it create a history of more "on time payments"? How about with loans?? Also does anyone here bank have detail analysis of how Navy Federal Credit internal scoring system works?? Or patelco credit union?? My trans credit rating is horrible (580) but if I can figure out what my internal score is w/ these banks, and maximize this, maybe I can get another 0% balance transfer credit card or maybe a line of credit? See my other threads for details on my situation. thanks!!
Does making payments several times a month instead of lump payment help?

1 of 6
2 years ago
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:06 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney
Seasoned RebelNeed BTC card
NoMoneyNoHoney has passed the 12 month threshold!
No scorable inquiries on file!
Level20 Last INQSunday, January 1, 2023 Gardening For1 year, 8 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes Next Level in23 days, 3 hours, and 5 minutes on October 1st INQ 1yr onMonday, January 1, 2024 INQ 1yr reached8 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago INQ 2yr onWednesday, January 1, 2025 INQ 2yr in3 months, 24 days, 3 hours, and 5 minutes
If you split a minimum payment of $600 into 3 different $200 payments over the course of a month, does this help your credit rating at all?? Does it create a history of more "on time payments"? How about with loans??

Also does anyone here bank have detail analysis of how Navy Federal Credit internal scoring system works?? Or patelco credit union?? My trans credit rating is horrible (580) but if I can figure out what my internal score is w/ these banks, and maximize this, maybe I can get another 0% balance transfer credit card or maybe a line of credit? See my other threads for details on my situation. thanks!!
NoMoneyNoHoney
  • Score data EX 757 TU: 742 EQ: 750
Re: Does making payments several times a month instead of lump payment help?

2 of 6
2 years ago
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:22 pm
A default user avatar.
Credible
Seasoned Rebel
Credible has been gardening for over 2 years.
Credible has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level29 Last INQMonday, March 28, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 5 months, 10 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes Next Level in20 days, 3 hours, and 5 minutes on September 28th INQ 1yr onTuesday, March 28, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 5 months, 10 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, March 28, 2024 INQ 2yr reached5 months, 10 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, March 28, 2024 Goal Achieved5 months, 10 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago
I don't know anything about credit unions, but when it comes to your credit reports and scores making 1 payment a month or several should make no difference; in credit reporting the date of last payment, size of last payment, and minimum payment due are all reported, as well as the current balance and the credit limit of the loan. Only the last reported balance and credit limit factor into your scores. The number of payments made a month is not reported, and the size or date of last payment on open current accounts is not a scoring factor.
Credible
A default user avatar.

3 of 6
2 years ago
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:59 pm
Cassie
DeveloperLoves long talks on the beach
Cassie has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level54 Last INQFriday, February 14, 2020 Gardening For4 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes Next Level in6 days, 3 hours, and 5 minutes on September 14th INQ 1yr onSunday, February 14, 2021 INQ 1yr reached3 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago INQ 2yr onMonday, February 14, 2022 INQ 2yr reached2 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago
NoMoneyNoHoney wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:06 pm ...if I can figure out what my internal score is w/ these banks, and maximize this, maybe I can get another 0% balance transfer credit card or maybe a line of credit?
I think you're on to something there with lender internal scoring. I've long thought about this as it relates to CLIs and how much they decide to give and when. Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to how best to play it, though. These 2 might be treated the same for internal lender algorithms:
  • Make a payment every week
  • Make a large payment within a few days of statement closing
Another thing I do is check my FICO score each month in their portal, just in case that's being recorded somewhere. (How concerned is this person about their credit score?) @Credible already provided the answer as to why none of these payment actions influence our credit scores - FICO 8 and mortgage scores are only looking at the most recent statement balance anyway.
Cassie
  • Score data EQ8:790 TU8:790 EX8:795

4 of 6
2 years ago
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:40 pm
BrutalBodyShots
Senior AdministratorGoodwill Saturation Technique Author
BrutalBodyShots has been gardening for over 2 years.
BrutalBodyShots has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes Next Level in15 days, 3 hours, and 5 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago
Number of [on-time] payments is not a scoring metric so it doesn't need to be focused on. Some free sites like Credit Karma display this and promote it as if it matters which misleads people to believe that it's a scoring metric, but it is not.

Making 1 monthly payment is all that is required. Anything additional doesn't help a score or "build" credit any faster or better.
BrutalBodyShots

5 of 6
2 years ago
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:45 pm
ptatohed
Seasoned Rebel
NoMoneyNoHoney wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:06 pm If you split a minimum payment of $600 into 3 different $200 payments over the course of a month, does this help your credit rating at all?? Does it create a history of more "on time payments"? How about with loans?? Also does anyone here bank have detail analysis of how Navy Federal Credit internal scoring system works?? Or patelco credit union?? My trans credit rating is horrible (580) but if I can figure out what my internal score is w/ these banks, and maximize this, maybe I can get another 0% balance transfer credit card or maybe a line of credit? See my other threads for details on my situation. thanks!!
If you are carrying a balance, this method can help you reduce interest charges but it shouldn't change your credit score.
ptatohed

6 of 6
2 years ago
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:20 pm
Birdman
Primer AuthorCo-Founder
Birdman has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level30 Last INQWednesday, March 2, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes Next Level in24 days, 3 hours, and 5 minutes on October 2nd INQ 1yr onThursday, March 2, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, March 2, 2024 INQ 2yr reached6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 55 minutes ago
Yes, making multiple payments does not build score. As long as no delinquent payment is made it accrues as positive payment history, whether a payment is made or not.

As for navy’s internal scoring, we can determine certain things from the reason statements given in letters. We know direct deposit helps, having money in the account helps, membership time helps, multiple products with them helps. Basically, anyone who has sought credit and got reasons back, those reasons can be used to try to decipher how to optimize.
Birdman
  • Score data EQ8-827; TU8-817; EX8-816
    EQ5-751; TI4- 800; EX2-814
Processing