Hello Fellow Rebels, I'm a new member and this is my first post! In October I got my first card in YEEEAAARRRS. Since then I've been wanting to finish the Trifecta and maximize my point earning potential! However, my score is very good and I don't want excessive applications or new accounts to tank my credit. After reading through the Primer, I believe I am in the C2 bucket of the Flowdown (Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver). Should I just pull the trigger on one of them (then alternate sign-ups with my wife for 3 sub bonuses), or maybe get both now and then invite her for 2 sub bonuses? <Big Inhale> Additionally, we are talking about possibly buying our first house in a year and don't want to negatively impact our approval odds or rates with excessive new accounts/apps. Thanks for reading and look forward to learning from everyone! -CreditCruncher
Finishing the Trifecta

1 of 9
2 years ago
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:58 pm
CreditCruncher
Visitor
Hello Fellow Rebels,

I'm a new member and this is my first post!

In October I got my first card in YEEEAAARRRS. Since then I've been wanting to finish the Trifecta and maximize my point earning potential! However, my score is very good and I don't want excessive applications or new accounts to tank my credit. After reading through the Primer, I believe I am in the C2 bucket of the Flowdown (Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver). Should I just pull the trigger on one of them (then alternate sign-ups with my wife for 3 sub bonuses), or maybe get both now and then invite her for 2 sub bonuses?

<Big Inhale>

Additionally, we are talking about possibly buying our first house in a year and don't want to negatively impact our approval odds or rates with excessive new accounts/apps.

Thanks for reading and look forward to learning from everyone!

-CreditCruncher
CreditCruncher
Re: Finishing the Trifecta

2 of 9
2 years ago
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:44 pm
AllZero
Outlier
AllZero has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level29 Last INQSaturday, March 26, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 5 months, 21 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes Next Level in9 days, 10 hours, and 37 minutes on September 26th INQ 1yr onSunday, March 26, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 5 months, 21 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes ago INQ 2yr onTuesday, March 26, 2024 INQ 2yr reached5 months, 21 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes ago
Welcome to the community!

Since a mortgage application is in the near future, I would suggest pulling you and your wife's EX2, TU4, EQ5 scores. It will give you an idea how to proceed.

Depending on the lender, +760 middle score should get you the best rate.

If you are short of it, then you may want to rethink your goals.

If you have high scores, then nothing to worry about and complete your goals.
AllZero

3 of 9
2 years ago
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:34 pm
BrutalBodyShots
Senior AdministratorGoodwill Saturation Technique Author
BrutalBodyShots has been gardening for over 2 years.
BrutalBodyShots has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 24 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes Next Level in6 days, 10 hours, and 37 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 24 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 24 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 24 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes ago
Welcome to the forum, @CreditCruncher ! I'm quite sure you'll enjoy your stay. Great job reading through the Primer already and identifying your scorecard. I agree with the first reply that you need to see where your 2/4/5 scores stand currently before pulling the trigger on another revolver. You can make the most informed decision when you have all of the information, so that's the way to go.
BrutalBodyShots

4 of 9
2 years ago
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:02 am
ptatohed
Seasoned Rebel
Sorry, can someone define 'the trifecta' for me please?
ptatohed

5 of 9
2 years ago
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:19 am
AllZero
Outlier
Level29 Last INQSaturday, March 26, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 5 months, 21 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes Next Level in9 days, 10 hours, and 37 minutes on September 26th INQ 1yr onSunday, March 26, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 5 months, 21 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes ago INQ 2yr onTuesday, March 26, 2024 INQ 2yr reached5 months, 21 days, 13 hours, and 23 minutes ago
ptatohed wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:02 am Sorry, can someone define 'the trifecta' for me please?
A combination a 3 Chase cards. Could also pertain to Amex or possibly any other lender? https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-card-trifecta/amp/ https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/cred ... e-trifecta https://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit ... -trifecta/
AllZero

6 of 9
2 years ago
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:03 am
ptatohed
Seasoned Rebel
Thanks. I don't know if this counts as a 'trifecta' but I think my next card will be the citi Rewards+ so that I can boost my DC and CC CB redemption to 2.2222% and 5.5555%. :D
ptatohed

7 of 9
2 years ago
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:15 am
ptatohed
Seasoned Rebel
AllZero wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:19 am
ptatohed wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:02 am Sorry, can someone define 'the trifecta' for me please?
A combination a 3 Chase cards. Could also pertain to Amex or possibly any other lender? https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-card-trifecta/amp/ https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/cred ... e-trifecta https://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit ... -trifecta/
Thanks again AZ. I read all three articles and still don't really get it, lol. They say this: "Each of these cards covers a distinct area of spending and offers its own unique perks as part of a well-rounded credit card strategy." I can say the same for three random cards in my lineup but I don't consider them a trifecta, I think of them as three cards, each with different rewards. But, then again, I am allergic to AFs (especially $550 ones), I don't own a business, and I don't travel - so obviously not for me. I'll stick to my cherished cash back. :D
ptatohed

8 of 9
2 years ago
Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:59 am
AllZero
Outlier
ptatohed wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:03 am Thanks. I don't know if this counts as a 'trifecta' but I think my next card will be the citi Rewards+ so that I can boost my DC and CC CB redemption to 2.2222% and 5.5555%. :D
With those two, I guess it would be bifecta. Are there any other Citi card that has boost redemptions?
AllZero

9 of 9
2 years ago
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:41 am
ptatohed
Seasoned Rebel
AllZero wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:59 am
ptatohed wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:03 am Thanks. I don't know if this counts as a 'trifecta' but I think my next card will be the citi Rewards+ so that I can boost my DC and CC CB redemption to 2.2222% and 5.5555%. :D
With those two, I guess it would be bifecta. Are there any other Citi card that has boost redemptions?
Well, none per se but having the Rewards+ allows you to cash in your pooled Thank You Points (TYPs) at 10% extra value for the first 100,000 ($1000) in TYPs per year. And when you cash in, say 100 TYPs, they give the 10% in the form of more TYPs - so you get 10 TYPs. When you cash those in, you get 1 TYP. Thus, the DC doesn't just become a 2.2% card, it becomes a 2.222222...% card. Same with the CC (5.555...%), same with the Rewards+ (2.222... or 1.111...%). Does that make sense? I am not sure which other citi cards reward in TYPs and let you pool your TYPs.
ptatohed
Processing