1. How long does it take NFCU to 'report' a new credit card and updated credit line increase??? On April 23 I got approved for NFCU platinum card with $16,700 CL. Unfortunately it's still NOT showing on any credit bureau report. Also, still waiting on credit reports showing that my first NFCU card credit card got approved for credit line increase from 7500 to 13500 which happened on May 3. These could be very important updates as once they are included, it should lower my aggregate utilization well below 50% (prob around 40%) which I believe gives me a big boost in FICO score. 2. So I finally got my Experian FICO above 700 (it's now 706). Pretty incredible because I was in the 500's at one time. I'm in a rush to get these high interest credit debt transfered to a lower interest APR via a BT. Should I wait to apply for a new Balance Transfer credit card until NFCU updates on my Experian/ transunion/EQ ?? So far it's not showing. 3. Is there any significant FICO increase for getting a personal loan balance paid more than 50% of the balance? I'm about 1,800 away from getting one of my Patelco loans to 50% paid off. 4. Any particular Balance Transfer card you'd recommend for my situation. 5. Discover recently approved me for a CLI from 14500 to 17500 (my starting limit was 12500). I've since paid off a huge chunk of debt to get it well below 50% individual utilization (balance is now 7,677 ). In the past I've maxed it out several times so I got to think they would like customers like me who always pay their bill but tend to carry a balance. What sort of credit line do you think I'd get if I applied for a second card from them?? Does it matter than I just got a CLI from them, would that look funny applying for a new card right away?? The reason for these last two questions is I know I'm only prob gonna get a couple shots at a "good new credit cards" and I want my next 0% balance transfer card to be fairly high limit. I plan to transfer both my barclay balance ($7K at 27.7% APR) and my Venture card balance ($23,590 , apr 22.74% ) ASAP. 6. I currently belong to PENFED CU also (joined in January and been slowly putting money in the checking). What sort of credit line do you think I'd get from them if applied?? Is it too early for them? Many thanks to this amazing forum for the continued hep!!
Questions & Strategy Help needed please : )

1 of 10
A year ago
Sat May 20, 2023 8:14 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney
Seasoned RebelNeed BTC card
NoMoneyNoHoney has passed the 12 month threshold!
No scorable inquiries on file!
Level20 Last INQSunday, January 1, 2023 Gardening For1 year, 8 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 4 minutes Next Level in23 days, 3 hours, and 56 minutes on October 1st INQ 1yr onMonday, January 1, 2024 INQ 1yr reached8 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 4 minutes ago INQ 2yr onWednesday, January 1, 2025 INQ 2yr in3 months, 24 days, 3 hours, and 56 minutes
1. How long does it take NFCU to 'report' a new credit card and updated credit line increase???

On April 23 I got approved for NFCU platinum card with $16,700 CL. Unfortunately it's still NOT showing on any credit bureau report. Also, still waiting on credit reports showing that my first NFCU card credit card got approved for credit line increase from 7500 to 13500 which happened on May 3. These could be very important updates as once they are included, it should lower my aggregate utilization well below 50% (prob around 40%) which I believe gives me a big boost in FICO score.

2. So I finally got my Experian FICO above 700 (it's now 706). Pretty incredible because I was in the 500's at one time. I'm in a rush to get these high interest credit debt transfered to a lower interest APR via a BT. Should I wait to apply for a new Balance Transfer credit card until NFCU updates on my Experian/ transunion/EQ ?? So far it's not showing.

3. Is there any significant FICO increase for getting a personal loan balance paid more than 50% of the balance? I'm about 1,800 away from getting one of my Patelco loans to 50% paid off.

4. Any particular Balance Transfer card you'd recommend for my situation.

5. Discover recently approved me for a CLI from 14500 to 17500 (my starting limit was 12500). I've since paid off a huge chunk of debt to get it well below 50% individual utilization (balance is now 7,677 ). In the past I've maxed it out several times so I got to think they would like customers like me who always pay their bill but tend to carry a balance. What sort of credit line do you think I'd get if I applied for a second card from them?? Does it matter than I just got a CLI from them, would that look funny applying for a new card right away??

The reason for these last two questions is I know I'm only prob gonna get a couple shots at a "good new credit cards" and I want my next 0% balance transfer card to be fairly high limit. I plan to transfer both my barclay balance ($7K at 27.7% APR) and my Venture card balance ($23,590 , apr 22.74% ) ASAP.

6. I currently belong to PENFED CU also (joined in January and been slowly putting money in the checking). What sort of credit line do you think I'd get from them if applied?? Is it too early for them?

Many thanks to this amazing forum for the continued hep!!
NoMoneyNoHoney
  • Score data EX 757 TU: 742 EQ: 750
Re: Questions & Strategy Help needed please : )

2 of 10
A year ago
Sat May 20, 2023 8:53 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney
Level20 Last INQSunday, January 1, 2023 Gardening For1 year, 8 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 4 minutes Next Level in23 days, 3 hours, and 56 minutes on October 1st INQ 1yr onMonday, January 1, 2024 INQ 1yr reached8 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 4 minutes ago INQ 2yr onWednesday, January 1, 2025 INQ 2yr in3 months, 24 days, 3 hours, and 56 minutes
I should note there's a 60 day time limit on the brand new NFCU 0.99 apr balance transfer. So I'd have to do it by this June 22nd.

There other thing is should I avoid going over 90% individual utilization on the new NFCU card when I do the balance transfer?? That would mean I need I'd have to limit the transfer to less than prob 14,929 thus I'd need at least another $16K-20K in other balance transfer low interest cards to deal with rest of the high interest debt.
NoMoneyNoHoney

3 of 10
A year ago
Mon May 22, 2023 4:14 am
NoMoneyNoHoney
New update, I think I can pull over a significant portion of my first NFCU platinum credit line to my new NFCU balance transfer card which would allow me a ton more room to work.

The "timing" on these balance transfers and when the new utilization reports will influence whether I can apply for another credit card. Still prob gonna need one more balance transfer card to deal with the high interest debt. I prob should have done the newly approved NFCU balance transfer awhile ago but I couldn't perceive all these intricacies. If somehow the Balance transfer (from my venture card) can go through and hit my credit bureaus before the newly maxed out NFCU card hits, I might get a big FICO increase which could make it easier to get approved for something. Right now, thinking Discover might give me the biggest CL to start for my FICO/high debt (but would love to hear opinions on the matter). Hopefully the Balance transfer can go through before capital one finishes this statement period.
NoMoneyNoHoney

4 of 10
A year ago
Mon May 22, 2023 6:47 am
GApeachy
Seasoned Rebel
GApeachy has passed the 12 month threshold!
Level13 Last INQMonday, August 7, 2023 Gardening For1 year, 1 month, 20 hours, and 4 minutes Next Level in29 days, 3 hours, and 56 minutes on October 7th INQ 1yr onWednesday, August 7, 2024 INQ 1yr reached1 month, 20 hours, and 4 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, August 7, 2025 INQ 2yr in10 months, 30 days, 3 hours, and 56 minutes Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, August 7, 2025 Goal In10 months, 30 days, 3 hours, and 56 minutes
Are you within Truist's footprint? If so, it would be a sp on EQ. I mention Truist because ds recently received a high sl, higher than any of his other tl's. All four of my sl's were higher than any of my other cc's as well. Prequal.
GApeachy
  • Score data EX8: 765/ TU: 765/ EQ: 764

5 of 10
A year ago
Mon May 22, 2023 7:11 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney
GApeachy wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:47 am Are you within Truist's footprint? If so, it would be a sp on EQ. I mention Truist because ds recently received a high sl, higher than any of his other tl's. All four of my sl's were higher than any of my other cc's as well. Prequal.
thanks for the reply! whats DS stand for? Truist Future credit card with it's 0% BT for 15 months sounds great. What sort of credit line range you would make a wild guess I'd get for my situation?? Would it beat what discover would give me ?? Do they usually check POI or is that rare?? I have pretty long history of credit so rarely do people ask me for that but I have a cash biz i run so it would be tough to prove.
NoMoneyNoHoney

6 of 10
A year ago
Tue May 23, 2023 7:40 am
GApeachy
Seasoned Rebel
Level13 Last INQMonday, August 7, 2023 Gardening For1 year, 1 month, 20 hours, and 4 minutes Next Level in29 days, 3 hours, and 56 minutes on October 7th INQ 1yr onWednesday, August 7, 2024 INQ 1yr reached1 month, 20 hours, and 4 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, August 7, 2025 INQ 2yr in10 months, 30 days, 3 hours, and 56 minutes Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, August 7, 2025 Goal In10 months, 30 days, 3 hours, and 56 minutes
DS stands for Dear Son.

Wild Guess? As long as you don't hold me to it. I'll go by some known dp's. New checking acct holder of 1 month
30k income
4 yr credit history
EQ fico near 800
3 tl's
Approved 10k

If you can line yourself up with those dp's perhaps you can make an assumption that's not far off the mark. Let us know what you decide.
GOOD LUCK!
GApeachy

7 of 10
A year ago
Wed May 24, 2023 12:45 am
NoMoneyNoHoney
GApeachy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:40 am DS stands for Dear Son. Wild Guess? As long as you don't hold me to it. I'll go by some known dp's. New checking acct holder of 1 month 30k income 4 yr credit history EQ fico near 800 3 tl's Approved 10k If you can line yourself up with those dp's perhaps you can make an assumption that's not far off the mark. Let us know what you decide. GOOD LUCK!
Hmmm..Its good but that's also amazing FICO I can't even come close to. Discover gave me 12,500 limit on the first card and I"m sort of thinking they would beat that on the second card should I go for it again. I think my score (for first discover app) was a little lower then also (maybe 660-690ish as it was just before I maxed out the rest of my cc cards I think) so to be honest surprised 800 score didn't get more......though I have decent income (my partner and I pull in around $250K-280K a year or more) and a long history so that might have been why I got lucky with Discover.
NoMoneyNoHoney

8 of 10
A year ago
Wed May 24, 2023 1:54 am
GApeachy
Seasoned Rebel
You could try the FNBO prequal. They will give you the $ amount and apr. Did you already do the Discover Prequal? You might be right, Disco may give you a higher sl than your 1st card but at least you can try this prequal with FNBO too. (If in their footprint) If you did go for the Truist cc though it's a sp and it won't report immediately. That way if the sl is too low you could always hit up Miss Disco too.
GApeachy

9 of 10
A year ago
Wed May 24, 2023 11:51 am
NoMoneyNoHoney
GApeachy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:54 am You could try the FNBO prequal. They will give you the $ amount and apr. Did you already do the Discover Prequal? You might be right, Disco may give you a higher sl than your 1st card but at least you can try this prequal with FNBO too. (If in their footprint) If you did go for the Truist cc though it's a sp and it won't report immediately. That way if the sl is too low you could always hit up Miss Disco too.
I live in Northern California...I'm not in either geographical area of FNBO or Truist. What about PENFED? I've had a checking with them since January. I possibly can get two cards (one pulling Experian and one pulling equifax since my two inquiries are with TU). I need a bank that doesn't usually do POI since I run my own biz which has a lot of cash. BTW, I made balance transfers to all my high debt cards to get them all under 30% utilization. I'll eventually report with NFCU platinum that has around 66% utilization when that reports but I suspect I should get a big boost in FICO around middle of June when my venture card shows a huge balance paid off along with two of my other cards. Aggregate utilization will be under 40% (maybe under 30% for brief period if NFCU doesn't report first and I can show these paid off without showing the new NFCU card).
NoMoneyNoHoney

10 of 10
A year ago
Wed May 24, 2023 12:05 pm
GApeachy
Seasoned Rebel
@NoMoneyNoHoney I can't advise on PenFed. I've never done business with that FI. Perhaps someone here can offer up some dp's. @MSmart007 may be able to advise.
GApeachy
Processing