Great news, got my FICO to the "very good" category!! Fico8 Experian is now 748, TU 746 and EQ is now 762.... Problem is its only gonna be temporary. While i did pay a ton of money out of pocket this month I also did a ton of balance transfers. When NFCU visa reports on the 24th of this month it will show big almost maxed out balance from all the balance transfers. For just next 10 days I'll be barely under 30% aggregate utilization and every card is under 30% individual utilization My plan is to try to get two more 0% balance transfer cards in next week before NFCU reports. My GF and I together earn almost $295K in annual income so DTI ratio should be ok. I have 26K in CC debt and 98K in available credit (until NFCU reports). I have around 22K in loans that are around 50% paid off and some student debt too. I need a credit card that likely won't check POI since part of my income comes from a cash biz and the other part is an employed job. I have a long credit history so usually they don't check but I was hoping to get some advice on who to apply to since I only have two bullets left. Discover is what I"m leaning towards for one of the cards (I already have one but I paid off most of it). I want to apply for PENFED for the second card but not sure if they'll want to verify income. Ive been a member of PENFED for 6 months now (checking and savings) but no offers from them (my credit wasn't so great when I opened up the savings account in January). WHats chances PenFed asks for income verification?? Like 99%? or would it be a 50/50 gamble?? If not PenFed how about BofA or something else?? Can't be NFCU or Chase. Most CU's ask for POI. I already have two inquiries on my TransUnion so thinking it might have to be an EQ or Experian card. Only a week left to get those balance transfer cards, any advice?? Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 5.14.18 PM.png
Big FICO Score increase, important timing/strategy questions, limited window

1 of 10
A year ago
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:31 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney
Seasoned RebelNeed BTC card
NoMoneyNoHoney has passed the 12 month threshold!
No scorable inquiries on file!
Level20 Last INQSunday, January 1, 2023 Gardening For1 year, 8 months, 6 days, 21 hours, and 51 minutes Next Level in23 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes on October 1st INQ 1yr onMonday, January 1, 2024 INQ 1yr reached8 months, 6 days, 21 hours, and 51 minutes ago INQ 2yr onWednesday, January 1, 2025 INQ 2yr in3 months, 24 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes
Great news, got my FICO to the "very good" category!! Fico8 Experian is now 748, TU 746 and EQ is now 762.... Problem is its only gonna be temporary. While i did pay a ton of money out of pocket this month I also did a ton of balance transfers. When NFCU visa reports on the 24th of this month it will show big almost maxed out balance from all the balance transfers. For just next 10 days I'll be barely under 30% aggregate utilization and every card is under 30% individual utilization My plan is to try to get two more 0% balance transfer cards in next week before NFCU reports. My GF and I together earn almost $295K in annual income so DTI ratio should be ok. I have 26K in CC debt and 98K in available credit (until NFCU reports). I have around 22K in loans that are around 50% paid off and some student debt too. I need a credit card that likely won't check POI since part of my income comes from a cash biz and the other part is an employed job. I have a long credit history so usually they don't check but I was hoping to get some advice on who to apply to since I only have two bullets left. Discover is what I"m leaning towards for one of the cards (I already have one but I paid off most of it). I want to apply for PENFED for the second card but not sure if they'll want to verify income. Ive been a member of PENFED for 6 months now (checking and savings) but no offers from them (my credit wasn't so great when I opened up the savings account in January). WHats chances PenFed asks for income verification?? Like 99%? or would it be a 50/50 gamble?? If not PenFed how about BofA or something else?? Can't be NFCU or Chase. Most CU's ask for POI. I already have two inquiries on my TransUnion so thinking it might have to be an EQ or Experian card. Only a week left to get those balance transfer cards, any advice??
Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 5.14.18 PM.png 36.33 KiB Viewed 278 times
NoMoneyNoHoney
  • Score data EX 757 TU: 742 EQ: 750
Re: Big FICO Score increase, important timing/strategy questions, limited window

2 of 10
A year ago
Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:08 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney
Level20 Last INQSunday, January 1, 2023 Gardening For1 year, 8 months, 6 days, 21 hours, and 51 minutes Next Level in23 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes on October 1st INQ 1yr onMonday, January 1, 2024 INQ 1yr reached8 months, 6 days, 21 hours, and 51 minutes ago INQ 2yr onWednesday, January 1, 2025 INQ 2yr in3 months, 24 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes
? :) Anyone? What credit cards are the least likely to check POI (Besides NFCU)??
NoMoneyNoHoney
Re: Big FICO Score increase, important timing/strategy questions, limited window

3 of 10
A year ago
Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:37 pm
ToxikPH
Rebel AdministratorProbably Applying for New Cards
Recent HP or new account.
Level0 Last INQFriday, August 23, 2024 Gardening For15 days, 21 hours, and 51 minutes Next Level in15 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onSaturday, August 23, 2025 INQ 1yr in11 months, 15 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes INQ 2yr onSunday, August 23, 2026 INQ 2yr in1 year, 11 months, 15 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes Goal6 months Goal DateSunday, February 23, 2025 Goal In5 months, 15 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes
NoMoneyNoHoney wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:08 pm ? :) Anyone? What credit cards are the least likely to check POI (Besides NFCU)??
I've never been asked for proof of income on any of my cards besides BECU, all my cards are in my signature for reference.
ToxikPH

4 of 10
A year ago
Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:30 am
Saeren
Rebel Administrator
Level0 Last INQFriday, August 23, 2024 Gardening For15 days, 21 hours, and 51 minutes Next Level in15 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onSaturday, August 23, 2025 INQ 1yr in11 months, 15 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes INQ 2yr onSunday, August 23, 2026 INQ 2yr in1 year, 11 months, 15 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes Goal6 months Goal DateSunday, February 23, 2025 Goal In5 months, 15 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes
NoMoneyNoHoney wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:08 pm ? :) Anyone? What credit cards are the least likely to check POI (Besides NFCU)??
I've only ever been asked for POI from DCU, AOD, and SSFCU as far as I can remember. Heck, PenFed approved me for a $25K card instantly with $20K income (yes, $20K, but I had no revolving debt and insignificant installment debt) and never asked for a thing. They all reserve the right to ask any time though.
Saeren
  • Score data TU8 799/EX8 786/EQ8 805
    EQ5 770/EX2 757
    8/18/2023

5 of 10
A year ago
Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:56 am
NoMoneyNoHoney
Saeren wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:30 am
I've only ever been asked for POI from DCU, AOD, and SSFCU as far as I can remember. Heck, PenFed approved me for a $25K card instantly with $20K income (yes, $20K, but I had no revolving debt and insignificant installment debt) and never asked for a thing. They all reserve the right to ask any time though.
Thanks. Curious, did PenFed send you some sort of pre-approved credit card offer? Also, how many months had you had a PenFed checking/saving before you applied for one of their credit products??
NoMoneyNoHoney

6 of 10
A year ago
Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:10 pm
Saeren
Rebel Administrator
NoMoneyNoHoney wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:56 am
Saeren wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:30 am
Thanks. Curious, did PenFed send you some sort of pre-approved credit card offer? Also, how many months had you had a PenFed checking/saving before you applied for one of their credit products??
So I originally applied for the card back in 2018 and was denied so I never even finished my membership set up. They sent me a mail offer for the PCR a couple times since but it wasn't like a solid prequal, just a "get our card" prescreen deal. I waited the 6 months it was you had to wait to get more than a $10K limit and just put $5 in the savings and waited. Instant approval for $25K. You could have knocked me out of my chair with a feather as while I already had a $25K card from NFCU, that card started at like $4500 and took years of CLI requests to grow (funny enough, that card is now $33K and I have a $20K Cash Rewards while still only having $22K in income).
Saeren
    EQ5 770/EX2 757
    8/18/2023

7 of 10
A year ago
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:03 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney
Saeren wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:10 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:56 am
Saeren wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:30 am I've only ever been asked for POI from DCU, AOD, and SSFCU as far as I can remember. Heck, PenFed approved me for a $25K card instantly with $20K income (yes, $20K, but I had no revolving debt and insignificant installment debt) and never asked for a thing. They all reserve the right to ask any time though.
So I originally applied for the card back in 2018 and was denied so I never even finished my membership set up. They sent me a mail offer for the PCR a couple times since but it wasn't like a solid prequal, just a "get our card" prescreen deal. I waited the 6 months it was you had to wait to get more than a $10K limit and just put $5 in the savings and waited. Instant approval for $25K. You could have knocked me out of my chair with a feather as while I already had a $25K card from NFCU, that card started at like $4500 and took years of CLI requests to grow (funny enough, that card is now $33K and I have a $20K Cash Rewards while still only having $22K in income).
Just curious what you would you do in my shoes? I prob need another 15K in credit to juggle balance transfers and pay this all off over the next 1.5 years. I opened up PenFed account in mid Jan but I didn't get checking/savings set up until mid April because I didn't properly follow up with that transfer verification thing in the beginning (somehow I was supposed to verify the transactions but got confused). I've since made about 25 small transactions at supermarkets/etc to show I'm active on my checking, got around $400 combined in saving/checking but not sure I've had it long enough now to get approved for a decent CL BT card without them doing a POI. Also discover I think pulls from EQ and so does PenFed... so if I did PenFed first would that impact my Discover application (going for second card)? I feel strongly I'd get another discover card but I don't want to screw getting a decent starting credit line.. I'm kind of thinking I might have to just do another big bank like BofA and then do Discover and put PenFed on hold?? Also Amex has a few credit cards with 15months balance transfer - would that be better than BofA? These decisions aren't like life and death but for some reason I can't make up my mind what to do first/next and I got to get it done in next two days
NoMoneyNoHoney

8 of 10
A year ago
Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:37 am
Saeren
Rebel Administrator
Knowing what I know about the conservative nature, or lack thereof, of these FIs...

PenFed > BoA = Disco (do them the same day, BoA first) > AMEX.

My reasoning is that PenFed is the most likely of those to give you a large starting limit if they like you, BoA and Disco don't like new accounts but don't mind inquiries, and AMEX is a wild card for approval amounts but is the least likely to care about new accounts.

PenFed will pull EQ9. Disco pulls EX8. BoA and AMEX both usually pull EX8.

Disco is notorious for giving prequals to people and then rescinding them when they add new accounts. PenFed is known for not liking credit seeking activity in general. BoA doesn't like more than 3 new accounts in 24 months if you aren't am existing customer or 7 in 24 months otherwise. AMEX has no hard and fast rules. Generally they don't care about credit seeking if they see dollar signs.
Saeren
    EQ5 770/EX2 757
    8/18/2023

9 of 10
A year ago
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:13 pm
NoMoneyNoHoney
Saeren wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:37 am Knowing what I know about the conservative nature, or lack thereof, of these FIs... PenFed > BoA = Disco (do them the same day, BoA first) > AMEX. My reasoning is that PenFed is the most likely of those to give you a large starting limit if they like you, BoA and Disco don't like new accounts but don't mind inquiries, and AMEX is a wild card for approval amounts but is the least likely to care about new accounts. PenFed will pull EQ9. Disco pulls EX8. BoA and AMEX both usually pull EX8. Disco is notorious for giving prequals to people and then rescinding them when they add new accounts. PenFed is known for not liking credit seeking activity in general. BoA doesn't like more than 3 new accounts in 24 months if you aren't am existing customer or 7 in 24 months otherwise. AMEX has no hard and fast rules. Generally they don't care about credit seeking if they see dollar signs.
So right after I read your message on Monday night, I did a prequal application on PENFED and it said i was pre-approved for $10K so few minutes later I applied for PENFED visa gold (after midnight on Monday). I immediately got the following message (nothing since this time): YOUR APPLICATION IS BEING REVIEWED Thank you for applying for a PenFed credit card, __me____. Your application is currently being reviewed by one of our loan officers. We will contact you within 24 - 48 hours for more information or a decision on your application. Still waiting on this...should I call them? or just chill out until I hear back? BTW, you were saying that Discover is better than BofA but I should apply for both the same day?? So far I just applied for PenFed....do you think I should I apply for discover today or wait until penfed approves me? I'm trying to get two at least 2 BT cards before my credit tanks again... I think on the 24th, NFCU will update my new balance after statement closes, which will drop my score on the 25th. I could go for 3 cards (penfed, BofA and Discover or Amex) just not sure if that's gonna be super bad longterm or just a short term drop. Thanks so much for you help!
NoMoneyNoHoney

10 of 10
A year ago
Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:24 pm
A default user avatar.
EvenBetterThanTheRealThing
Seasoned Rebel
Level4 Last INQFriday, April 12, 2024 Gardening For4 months, 26 days, 21 hours, and 51 minutes Next Level in4 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes on September 12th INQ 1yr onSaturday, April 12, 2025 INQ 1yr in7 months, 4 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes INQ 2yr onSunday, April 12, 2026 INQ 2yr in1 year, 7 months, 4 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes Goal12 months Goal DateSaturday, April 12, 2025 Goal In7 months, 4 days, 2 hours, and 9 minutes
Saeren wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:37 am Knowing what I know about the conservative nature, or lack thereof, of these FIs... PenFed > BoA = Disco (do them the same day, BoA first) > AMEX. My reasoning is that PenFed is the most likely of those to give you a large starting limit if they like you, BoA and Disco don't like new accounts but don't mind inquiries, and AMEX is a wild card for approval amounts but is the least likely to care about new accounts. PenFed will pull EQ9. Disco pulls EX8. BoA and AMEX both usually pull EX8. Disco is notorious for giving prequals to people and then rescinding them when they add new accounts. PenFed is known for not liking credit seeking activity in general. BoA doesn't like more than 3 new accounts in 24 months if you aren't am existing customer or 7 in 24 months otherwise. AMEX has no hard and fast rules. Generally they don't care about credit seeking if they see dollar signs.
If you're new to Amex there's a good chance they'll pull TU8 also. Both EX8 and TU8 were used for my BCP.
EvenBetterThanTheRealThing
A default user avatar.
  • Score data EQ8 688 TU8 698 EX8 692
    EQ9 711 TU9 707 EX9 717
    EQ10T 693 TU10T 704 EX10T 679
Processing