This has always been my understanding, and something that Birdman was always very quick to correct people on whether it be here, on MF or Reddit. People would state that if you close an installment loan and your score drops, it's due to the loss of credit mix. Birdman would always chime in and say no, closed accounts are factored into credit mix just like open ones are (like aging metrics) and that it's the Amounts Owed slice of the Fico pie that changes and why a score drop may be realized. I've continued to correct people on this subject over the years. If you read on MF though under unexpected score changes, it states the following: "Second, closing an account can affect your credit mix. FICO Scores consider the different types of credit accounts being used or reported, including credit cards, retail accounts, and installment loans (like auto loans and mortgage loans). People who demonstrate responsible use of different types of credit are generally considered less risky to lenders." This point seems to counter what I have always believed and what Birdman has always said and wrote in the CSP. Maybe it's the interpretation of the language that I'm struggling with here. Using the term "being reported" could simply mean present on credit reports, which of course a closed loan typically still would be. If for some reason it dropped off early, THAT would impact credit mix. How do you all interpret this and what are your thoughts. Taking a look at the Fico negative reason codes and how we know they shift with the closure of a loan, what is your take on the subject?
Credit Mix doesn't change when you close an account

1 of 4
5 months ago
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:45 pm
BrutalBodyShots
Senior AdministratorGoodwill Saturation Technique Author
BrutalBodyShots has been gardening for over 2 years.
BrutalBodyShots has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 15 days, and 21 hours Next Level in15 days and 3 hours on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 15 days, and 21 hours ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 15 days, and 21 hours ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 15 days, and 21 hours ago
This has always been my understanding, and something that Birdman was always very quick to correct people on whether it be here, on MF or Reddit. People would state that if you close an installment loan and your score drops, it's due to the loss of credit mix. Birdman would always chime in and say no, closed accounts are factored into credit mix just like open ones are (like aging metrics) and that it's the Amounts Owed slice of the Fico pie that changes and why a score drop may be realized. I've continued to correct people on this subject over the years. If you read on MF though under unexpected score changes, it states the following:

"Second, closing an account can affect your credit mix. FICO Scores consider the different types of credit accounts being used or reported, including credit cards, retail accounts, and installment loans (like auto loans and mortgage loans). People who demonstrate responsible use of different types of credit are generally considered less risky to lenders."

This point seems to counter what I have always believed and what Birdman has always said and wrote in the CSP. Maybe it's the interpretation of the language that I'm struggling with here. Using the term "being reported" could simply mean present on credit reports, which of course a closed loan typically still would be. If for some reason it dropped off early, THAT would impact credit mix.

How do you all interpret this and what are your thoughts. Taking a look at the Fico negative reason codes and how we know they shift with the closure of a loan, what is your take on the subject?
BrutalBodyShots
Re: Credit Mix doesn't change when you close an account

2 of 4
5 months ago
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:51 pm
Saeren
Rebel Administrator
Recent HP or new account.
Level0 Last INQFriday, August 23, 2024 Gardening For15 days and 21 hours Next Level in15 days and 3 hours on September 23rd INQ 1yr onSaturday, August 23, 2025 INQ 1yr in11 months, 15 days, and 3 hours INQ 2yr onSunday, August 23, 2026 INQ 2yr in1 year, 11 months, 15 days, and 3 hours Goal6 months Goal DateSunday, February 23, 2025 Goal In5 months, 15 days, and 3 hours
I think that it depends on the type of debt involved. Closing your only credit card would definitely affect credit mix negatively I would think while an installment loan not so much. Installment loans are expected to end some time while revolving lines of credit are supposed to be just that, revolving. It would not make much sense to ding for credit mix if you pay off an installment loan but it would make sense to ding if you close your only revolver.

I can tell you that I paid off my installment loan with Best Egg with like 40% of the balance left (so I never got the boost for having an almost paid off installment) after I realized it was a CFA and suffered no score penalty. It was my only installment loan and should have had a ding if it affected my credit mix.
Saeren
  • Score data TU8 799/EX8 786/EQ8 805
    EQ5 770/EX2 757
    8/18/2023

3 of 4
5 months ago
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:55 pm
A default user avatar.
Beefy
Seasoned Rebel
Level3 Last INQTuesday, May 28, 2024 Gardening For3 months, 10 days, and 21 hours Next Level in20 days and 3 hours on September 28th INQ 1yr onWednesday, May 28, 2025 INQ 1yr in8 months, 20 days, and 3 hours INQ 2yr onThursday, May 28, 2026 INQ 2yr in1 year, 8 months, 20 days, and 3 hours Goal12 months Goal DateWednesday, May 28, 2025 Goal In8 months, 20 days, and 3 hours
The key word is “can” not “will” almost all how to get good credit or how credit works articles are littered with non definitive statements to mask time frame or otherwise obscure the what and why.

Most of these advise against closing an account because it “may” “can” “could” cause a loss of credit age or mix without mentioning those “possible” changes are a decade out.

They are not lying directly, but in my opinion are gaslighting or attempting to make you believe the opposite of what will happen does happen.
Beefy
A default user avatar.
  • Score data EQ8-791; TU8-780 EX8-766
    EQ9-816; TU9-776; EX9-776
    EQ5-729; TI4- 740; EX2-723

4 of 4
5 months ago
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:36 am
BrutalBodyShots
Senior AdministratorGoodwill Saturation Technique Author
BrutalBodyShots has been gardening for over 2 years.
BrutalBodyShots has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 15 days, and 21 hours Next Level in15 days and 3 hours on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 15 days, and 21 hours ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 15 days, and 21 hours ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 15 days, and 21 hours ago
We both agree then that it's the interpretation of the language that creates the ambiguity. That was more or less what I was thinking. You're right, there's a lot of that when it comes to Fico scoring, negative reason codes and so on. Fortunately with the algorithm testing that has been done over the years, much of it has been figured out. I guess I've never seen any definitive evidence that closing an account can hurt credit mix, which is why I always went with the understanding that it was Amounts Owed changing that would impact a potential score shift.
BrutalBodyShots
Processing