I am slowly but surely improving things but curious to know the opinion of the group on the the utilization part of the score. In particular, if reducing individual card utilization to below 10% is better than paying that card off completely, and then shifting focus on the next card with balance. I have 5 credit cards with balances and overall utilization >90% but two of the cards are low credit limit accounts that could be paid off completely right away. The other 3 will take time to get paid down. I am mostly concerned with FICO 5 for a mortgage. Since overall utilization is going to be rather high for a while I am trying to find optimize between lower number of accounts with balances while minimizing the damage of zero balance on individual cards. Anyone have any data from a similar scenario?
The path to AZEO

1 of 4
2 years ago
Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 pm
A default user avatar.
huffboy
Authorized Rebel
huffboy has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level35 Last INQFriday, October 1, 2021 Gardening For2 years, 11 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes Next Level in23 days, 3 hours, and 38 minutes on October 1st INQ 1yr onSaturday, October 1, 2022 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 11 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSunday, October 1, 2023 INQ 2yr reached11 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes ago
I am slowly but surely improving things but curious to know the opinion of the group on the the utilization part of the score. In particular, if reducing individual card utilization to below 10% is better than paying that card off completely, and then shifting focus on the next card with balance. I have 5 credit cards with balances and overall utilization >90% but two of the cards are low credit limit accounts that could be paid off completely right away. The other 3 will take time to get paid down.

I am mostly concerned with FICO 5 for a mortgage. Since overall utilization is going to be rather high for a while I am trying to find optimize between lower number of accounts with balances while minimizing the damage of zero balance on individual cards. Anyone have any data from a similar scenario?
huffboy
A default user avatar.
  • Score data EQ 639/TU 618/EXP 632
Re: The path to AZEO

2 of 4
2 years ago
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:10 pm
BrutalBodyShots
Senior AdministratorGoodwill Saturation Technique Author
BrutalBodyShots has been gardening for over 2 years.
BrutalBodyShots has achieved the Garden Goal !!
Level27 Last INQMonday, May 23, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes Next Level in15 days, 3 hours, and 38 minutes on September 23rd INQ 1yr onTuesday, May 23, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes ago INQ 2yr onThursday, May 23, 2024 INQ 2yr reached3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes ago Goal24 months Goal DateThursday, May 23, 2024 Goal Achieved3 months, 15 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes ago
huffboy wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 pm I am slowly but surely improving things but curious to know the opinion of the group on the the utilization part of the score. In particular, if reducing individual card utilization to below 10% is better than paying that card off completely, and then shifting focus on the next card with balance. I have 5 credit cards with balances and overall utilization >90% but two of the cards are low credit limit accounts that could be paid off completely right away. The other 3 will take time to get paid down. I am mostly concerned with FICO 5 for a mortgage. Since overall utilization is going to be rather high for a while I am trying to find optimize between lower number of accounts with balances while minimizing the damage of zero balance on individual cards. Anyone have any data from a similar scenario?
Hello and welcome to the forum. There is absolutely no damage by obtaining more zero balance cards if you have 5 cards with balances. The only time you would possibly see a score drop here is if you only had 1 of 5 cards with a [non-zero] reported balance and you paid that card off, thus resulting in All Zero (AZ) reported balances across all cards. When you're at 90% utilization, dropping your debt can only help your scores regardless of the path you take to do it. When looking at EQ5, less cards with balances definitely helps. That said, if you have the option of throwing $500 toward a card with a $500 balance (thus paying it off) or throwing $500 toward a card with a $5000 balance, taking the first option and paying off a card makes the most sense. I would suggest paying off lowest balance cards like the 2 accounts you referenced first. After that work on taking all cards down across known threshold points. For example, look to get all below 50% utilization, then all below 30% utilization, etc.
BrutalBodyShots

3 of 4
2 years ago
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:06 am
Cassie
DeveloperLoves long talks on the beach
Cassie has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level54 Last INQFriday, February 14, 2020 Gardening For4 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes Next Level in6 days, 3 hours, and 38 minutes on September 14th INQ 1yr onSunday, February 14, 2021 INQ 1yr reached3 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes ago INQ 2yr onMonday, February 14, 2022 INQ 2yr reached2 years, 6 months, 24 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes ago
huffboy wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 pm I have 5 credit cards with balances and overall utilization >90% but two of the cards are low credit limit accounts that could be paid off completely right away. The other 3 will take time to get paid down.
100% of revolving accounts reporting a balance has always caused a large drop on my mortgage scores. EQ/TU 8 also respond negatively, just not as bad. I think you'll see a nice gain across the board going from 100% to whatever the percentage is after 1 card reports at zero. The next card reporting at zero may not do anything for your scores. That seems to vary wildly based on a few different factors like number and type of accounts, in addition to overall age. I have noticed that FICO 9s respond very nicely with almost any sort of decreasing 'number of accounts with balances', especially that FICO Auto 9 score that a lot of auto dealers pull when setting up a lease. I've seen swings in that score of +/- 27 points from 100% AWB to 50% AWB, or 4 to 2 in my case. Just never be at 100% reporting with a balance.
Cassie
  • Score data EQ8:790 TU8:790 EX8:795

4 of 4
2 years ago
Mon May 16, 2022 5:52 pm
Birdman
Primer AuthorCo-Founder
Birdman has been gardening for over 2 years.
Level30 Last INQWednesday, March 2, 2022 Gardening For2 years, 6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes Next Level in24 days, 3 hours, and 38 minutes on October 2nd INQ 1yr onThursday, March 2, 2023 INQ 1yr reached1 year, 6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes ago INQ 2yr onSaturday, March 2, 2024 INQ 2yr reached6 months, 5 days, 20 hours, and 22 minutes ago
It’s important to note that AWB includes both open and closed accounts, both revolving and loan. So if you have any closed accounts, you can’t hit 100% AWB. I would like to evaluate some accounts with true 100% AWB score shifts. BWB, however, only includes bankcards and is likely responsible for those score shifts at 100% of bankcards.

But balances and utilization, depending on bureau & version, can be calculated separately for bankcard, retail, loan, revolving, Chargecard,, and total debt (which excludes amounts owed on derogatory accounts and collections).
Birdman
  • Score data EQ8-827; TU8-817; EX8-816
    EQ5-751; TI4- 800; EX2-814
Processing